FSU Treating the Orange Bowl as a Scrimmage?

Viewing 5 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I’m hearing rumors that FSU is going to use the Orange Bowl versus Georgia as a glorified scrimmage. Essentially, using reserves instead of any of their starters that are eligible for the draft as a form of protest. If they do that, it’ll hit the networks in the pocketbook due to more than likely low tv viewership.

3 1

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Should they do this and the mostly first string Bulldogs take the Seminoles to the woodshed would just make FSU look bad.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I think that the majority of college football fandom would understand the context. In addition, why should I put my players at risk for what’s an exhibition game? Just my take, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see major college programs start using these meaningless bowl games in the same way that NFL teams use their exhibition games. You could even have a gentleman’s agreement stipulating who’s going to play what quarter and go from there. The model is already there at the pro level. Even the NFL got smart and got rid of the “Pro Bowl”.

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

I do think that the only recourse anyone has if they felt like the selection committee missed something is to not watch the game. If networks are running the ship now then that’s the only metric they care about.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

To tell you the truth, it actually makes fiscal sense for FSU to not even show up. I watched a show where they crunched the numbers and, once the $5.2M pie is divided amongst all ACC schools and you subtract FSU’s travel expenses, their really isn’t much left in the kitty.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

The dirty little secret of the bowl games. The only people that make money on them are the hucksters and charlatans from the local Chambers of Commerce that put them on and the networks through advertising sales.

Typical bowl arrangement is that the participating teams get half of the allotment and the rest is dispersed among the other conference members. Participating teams are obligated to purchase a fixed allotment of tickets which they then sell to their own fans. That is why travelling well has always mattered. And the participating teams have to cover their own expenses which include extended hotel stays for the team, staff, band, and any other hangers-on who can justify getting the free week. Not to mention whatever stipends are necessary so that everyone has walking around money.

In return for all of that outlay, the players get extra practices and gift bags that average somewhere around 1k per. Maybe $2500, I’m not remembering the actuals but someone always put out a list. Give the kids winter break off, add the practices to Spring ball and hand out “bonus” checks equivalent to the average gift bag. It’d be cheaper for everyone at the school(s) in the long run and the networks/powers that be would be in a real hurry to have a true postseason that benefitted everyone instead of a select few.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Honestly, I hope they do.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Bowl games used to be a big deal. It was a reward for a winning season. Plus extra practices for the younger guys. I see it more as a burden for coaches and players. Coaches need to spend that time recruiting and playing the NIL game. Players get burned out after spring and July – Dec. practices.

They need time to heal work on their bodies gaining weight and strength so they don’t get hurt. Plus having a college life other than football.

FCS has it right with their playoff. Games that actually mean something.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

I see this as 1 of 2 viable routes. The other is to prep Rodemaker, rely on the defense, and try to grind out a low-scoring win against defending Nat’l champions and claim the National Title (like UCF did) but be more legitimate as a 14-0 ACC conference and Orange Bowl champion. If Alabama or Texas wins the CFP, FSU has an even stronger argument as the only undefeated team, conference champion, … (Liberty will lose to Oregon big, even if it’s the backups, although Lanning says Nix is playing).

So, give in, sulk, and stick it to ESPN or work hard, show some pride, and stick it to ESPN.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Well, you know for certain that anyone that’s eligible for the NFL draft from Georgia is also going to be sitting out. There’s no reason this can’t be a close game.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football FSU Treating the Orange Bowl as a Scrimmage?