Greg Hanson’s articles have been good reading.

Viewing 1 reply thread

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Here’s an interesting story. Not common in today’s world of sports.

https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/greg-hansen-years-ago-former-ua-president-ad-risked-reputations/article_5ea47e02-2081-587e-85ff-a5a3f0689b02.html#7

Arizona AS and University lied about Tomey’s departure for 19 years. Not what you think.

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

Interesting read, but left me with some questions about how it should be viewed.  It seems like it is being presented as an honor to the coach and what he deserved from the University.

“The official record would falsely indicate that Coach Tomey would have been fired if he failed to resign, so Dick could receive the $600,000 that Jim and I felt he deserved. Dick had lost the support of our football fans, who seemed to have forgotten his 12-win season a few years earlier, but he had not lost the confidence of his president or his athletic director.

“I suspect that the Board of Regents would not have been pleased by our deception, but sometimes you have to do the right thing, even if the rules say otherwise.”

I wonder if they didn’t say anything for so long because the statute of limitations has finally expired for criminal conspiracy to swindle in today’s dollars about $900,000 from Arizona.

It is nice the School President and AD wanted to do right by the coach, but in my mind his participation in the deception makes him less impressive.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Greg Hanson’s articles have been good reading.