Holy crap we suck so bad

Viewing 9 reply threads

Jim McMahon
      Ute Fan
      @icomeinpeace

I know this is your message board and I don’t come here seeking pity. But I really thought Kalani had figured things out the last few seasons. It is now glaringly obvious that all the discipline and toughness was from Grimes. The further we get away from him, the more we revert to our sloppy Kalani seasons pre-Grimes.

I laughed at Utah State earlier this year getting smacked around by Weber State. Liberty did worse to us today. Liberty played an FCS team last week and only rushed for 93 yards. Today they rushed for 300 against us. 

The only silver lining of this season is that we don’t play your team. Holy Moses that would be an ugly game. You would rush for 800 yards on us.

Tuiaki would look great in red. Just saying…

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I don’t know that it was Grimes. Baylor isn’t any good either. The more likely reason was Covid and playing a full 2020 season.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

I think it is more that rhe discipline and grit came largely by playing lesser competition. The Y is always up and down, but is definitely trending down since they left the MWC. BYU looked better over previous years because you beat us in a down time and you won a few more games than expected, but 7 of those wins are always scheduled. BYU isn’t bad, but they aren’t ‘back’. BYU will be a middling to bottom B12 team. The church doesn’t want to fund the team the way OSU or maybe Tech/TCU will be willing to.

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

The BIG 12 should help you tremendously in the long term. I would honestly be more excited about BYU after today than after the COVID year because your program now has a “seat at the table”. You guys could only go so far being an independent and your recruiting and recourses should increase after several years in the BIG 12 (barring any more reallignment).

1 3

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I agree. Big 12 membership will be a great boon to your program’s position in the college football landscape. However, we now all begin to face the newest revenue stream in the sport, NIL dollars. What are your thoughts on future NIL participation by the LDS church, @icomeinpeace?

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

If you go back and look at the path Utah and TCU had to take to become competitive in a P5 conference you realize this step takes time. As you build expectations for the Y to climb this step you should consider Utah and TCU were a bit further along in the fight to compete in the BCS era. However, they will be entering a B12 that is not as strong as the previous B12 or Pac10. It is a good step but expect a number of seasons without bowl eligibility.

2 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Let’s just say most Ute fans are not surprised that your defense is struggling under Sitake. He did an okay job with the defense under Kyle, but there were always a couple important games where sitake completely crapped the bed every year.

IIRC nobody was sad to see him go, and our defense immediately improved when he bounced.

Same story with Arod. BYU fans have been complaining about the same stuff we complained about with him. Most notably, that he doesn’t seem to understand that throws to the middle of the field are an option. He was so afraid of his qbs throwing picks that he would rather have them throw it away than throw over the middle. Whitt tried giving him a number of different jobs to see if he would exceed expectations, and he never did.

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

I think will get in the Big XII and find yourselves in the same situation we were in as we joined the PAC. Decent talent but 1 injury away from being mediocre. It will be many years before your have the depth to stay competitive in November. We lived that for so many years as well.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

Your D is not consistently bad. Have you had injuries to your D line or linebackers? Or do you have an inexperienced secondary requiring everyone to drop back afraid of getting beat over the top? Is it the same every game?

PAC12Teams
      Ute Fan
      @utahbb

Was this one of the reasons tight end Dallin Holker entered the transfer portal? The problems with the culture of the team? 

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Fret not coug, you’ll always have cross country!

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

When I saw the score I was shocked but Liberty isn’t a push over anymore. They are a decent team. We went to UCLA and got a beat down from a team that had to rally to beat Southern Alabama in the 4th quarter at home. BYU will be fine.

The LDS church will not spend $ on NIL outside of the scholarships the school provides. The same way the Utah tax payers won’t spend $ for Utah’s NIL deals. BYU has a much more robust alumni pool and has already embraced NIL. Utah is behind big time when it comes to NIL due to Whitts destain for the whole thing. BYUs biggest recruiting hurdle is the honor code which isn’t going anywhere. NIL and XII will be big but you’ve still got to talk non-LDS kids to come to campus for a church camp college experience. It’s a hard sell.

2 1

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Thank you for your comments, @runningreddude. I don’t understand what you are saying regarding the LDS church and NIL. The church will not spend dollars on NIL the same way that Utah tax payers won’t spend money on it?

Utah tax payers are spending dollars on NIL, contributing to various NIL funding collectives or creating NIL deals themselves. 

I am of the belief that if the church begins to again see the football team as a way to recruit new members, they might also think it a good idea to spend dollars on NIL – perhaps, spokesperson lecturers, the Oliver Cowdery Scholar Athlete, the Porter Rockwell Defensive Leader, as possible examples.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

🤣🤣🤣 I have to admit, The Porter Rockwell defensive leader made me laugh.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Holy crap we suck so bad