How good IS Huntley?

Viewing 5 reply threads
      2 1

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

I have been a fan of Huntley overall so know where this is coming from.  I completely supported his selection over Williams last year and loved him last year.  This year I think he is showing himself to be below average (among p5 schools) at passing IN HIS SECOND YEAR and above average at running/ dual threat.  I think he is now maxed out.  It is painful to think of it, but it may be time to try Shelly or Tuttle even with the win at Stanford. 

Gp ahead, convince me otherwise.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The coaches are professionals. I can’t necessarily answer your original question, but I think it is pretty obvious Huntley is the player the coaches think gives us the best chance to win.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

They will roll with him as long as he wins now. Also pretty clear the team loves him. Now another 9 quarters or whatever without a passing TD? I don’t know. It just isn’t going to happen as the schedule softens up. 

He took one sack btw and had two throw away with a sort of fumble on Covey that was ruled incomplete. 

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I thought we got lucky with that call, but I went back and watched it, and that ball was all over the place in his hands.  I was actually happy with the calls overall, although the defensive PI’s were weak.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yeah I still think it could have gone the wrong way. That officiating crew wasn’t awful I would say they were fair to both teams. I never understand how they can call defensive hold or PI when the receiver initiated the contact. What do you expect the DBs to do?  Just fall over?

I am also a little upset they didn’t call roughing the passer after Huntley threw that touchdown. Pretty obvious to me but again with the PAC it is anyone’s guess. 

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

That’s probably why Blair was tentative.  We couldn’t give them any excuses.  I still don’t understand the non-call against Mariner.  He didn’t come out of his break, so wasn’t he technically defenseless?  And the DB may not have led with his head, but there was definitely forcible contact to Mariner’s head.  I’m glad it wasn’t called, but I wish it was called consistently.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

If it was reversed I always play what if.  If Mariner hadn’t slipped it is a blow to the head?  Why else apologize?  Wrap up and tackle sick of those blow up hits. 

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

there was one PI in particular where the TE ran right into Ballard and actually grabbed Ballard. Called a PI. There was one other that was similar. They were really letting them play exactly how they wanted to

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

The Ballard PI was a particularly bad call. I couldn’t see how they threw that flag no matter how I tried to look at it.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Have the coaches built an offense around him that maximizes his abilities? If not, it is difficult to know how good he is and can be.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

We’ll know after the next four games. Way too early to tell. Utah’s victories are very dependent on turnovers and the defense scoring. I want to see Utah’s offense control a game independent of the defense getting lopsided turnovers. That is just not going to happen in most games.

Utah has historically struggled against the mobile QB spread the field teams (UO, CU, ASU, UofA). Utes need to win out to get into the P12 Championship. Accomplishing that will tell you how good Huntley is as Utah’s QB.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

If the defense didn’t score against NIU and Stanford, we still would have won if you’re just looking at the raw score.  I think it’s reasonable to win the turnover battle with this defense, maybe not lopsided, but at least +2 every game.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

If you have to back on a +2 from your defense your offense flat out sucks.  

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

Never said we have to.  Just stating that the defense is good enough to expect +2 in every game.  I’m not trying to argue hypotheticals, but we did what we wanted to on offense against Stanford.  What would you change?  Take away the 1 sack given up?  The 1 false start or the 1 inelligible receiver?  How many PBU’s did we even have?  2?  Negative run plays? 2 or 3?  Didn’t we have 0 drops?  How many drives ended in a punt?  2?  Seems like an efficient performance that will win games if duplicated.  I can live with efficient.  Don’t know if we’ll be great this year.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Not sold on Huntley- He’s more accurate in the short game than Williams or Wilson, but Williams had a better deep ball that opened up the run game and Wilson was a better runner. Huntley can extend plays and does keep his eyes downfield. Personally I like Shelley better, but I don’t get paid 3+ million to make that decision. 

Not sure if it’s a Utah system issue or not, but I haven’t seen a Utah QB Audible… well in forever. vs UW the first pass play was a bubble screen to Covey that almost went for 6 the other way because the DB recognized the play, and jumped the route. Remember several games where they had to disguise the play calls because opponents were stealing the signals, and defenses even knowing the caidence.  Personally- Football IQ needs to improve in a lot of positions at Utah.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How good IS Huntley?