How I would start the game on offense on August 29th.

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Moss will be the focus of the defense and I think their running D is their strength.  IMO, we need to open things up, so they do not stack the box and make it difficult to run.

I would start with a series of short passes including to Moss.  The first few plays would be play-action passes.  After moving the ball downfield and about 5 passes, I would give it to Moss (hopefully for a TD run).

I understand the Utes need to be a run-first offense to be successful.  However, to be able to open it up – we need to utilize the passing game.  Last season, we did not get a first down until the second quarter against these guys.  We do not want that kind of start.  We need to shove it down their throats early.  Doing so will allow Moss to have a great game.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Play action pass for 80 YD TD.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

So basically the opening drive play calling from the Michigan game when they keyed on Booker.  Got it…

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

you cant possess the ball before the opening kickoff and this is objectively the wrong choice 

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

only way we moved the ball vs Washington in the championship game was RPO and throwing to the tight ends in the middle of the field, i recommend they start off the game with that mixed with a few read options to keep TDS guessing and on their heels. Nothing too crazy since its Huntley, Moss and Coveys first game back

Charlie Zulu
      Ute Fan
      @charliezulu

I hope they pull another 1st quarter like they did against USC a few years ago where they practically ran the ball every play for the first quarter (at least that is how I remember it). Just out muscle them…

Our Oline will be gel pretty quickly after something like that.

Charlie Zulu
        Ute Fan
        @charliezulu

I should clarify, I doubt this^ will happen. But I hope it does.

Dante Guardi
          Ute Fan
          @danteg12

the O line will get tired very easily if that happens but so will BYUs defense. not sure if that is the best for Moss in his first game back. If the gameplan u r predicting ends up happening, my guess is we get a classic Utah slug fest and the utes win 21-16

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

BYU does not have the kind of DL that will wear out our OL.  Not enough edge speed to wear out the tackles and not enough interior strength to wear out the guards and center.  The best BYU could hope for as far as endurance goes is a stalemate, which means they lose because they’re not getting pressure.  Even against the run, you have to have penetration or the zone read will pick you apart.  I’m not saying they won’t get pressure or penetration, just saying that they will most certainly NOT wear out our offensive line.  My hope is that we attack them with perimeter runs.  They do well filling holes, but not with perimeter speed.  Moss has the speed, so does DHC, Green, and Wilmore, to say nothing of our WR’s.  Then build the play action off of the perimeter.  When they adjust at halftime, attack the interior.  I actually hope we keep things vanilla.  I don’t think their defense can hang with an offense that dominates the TOP like ours has the potential to.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I think Roscoes line philosophy was better suited to the talent TDS brought in. Gap sound and they were very smart about their angles. 

Sitake is trying to run a defense with speed tds doesn’t possess. So I see them as incompatibile long term. 

Chidojuan
                Ute Fan
                @chidojuan

Yup, and he didn’t rely on his defensive line to make plays, just to maintain gap integrity.  Similar to what Utah currently runs, only we have the luxury of a DL that can make plays.  Sitake is putting too much on the athletes on the DL.  With Kafusi gone, it’s up to Tonga, and he just isn’t a reliable playmaker.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How I would start the game on offense on August 29th.