Hypothetical Game: What better coach views Utah as a better school to coach than

Viewing 5 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

than their current situation? Would Mike Leach leave for SLC and all that comes with it? Could Utah hire an offensive minded HC and maintain a strong defense, similar to what happened when the Urb came here?

Perhaps K-Whitt has found the perfect formula to win just enough to get into a crappy bowl and win it. I’ve always been in his corner and I still would be IF he wasn’t so highly paid.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Would Andersen or Scalley stay on as DC if Kyle retired or was fired and someone else brought in as the HC? I could see both of them staying.

I think our best bet at an offensive minded OC is to hire a P5 OC or a G5 HC. Nobody is leaving another P5 HC gig to come to Utah. That isn’t a slam on Utah, but we aren’t one of those top level schools that someone is going to leave another mid-level P5 for. Coming to Utah would be a lateral move for any P5 coach not coaching at one of the blue blood programs.

4 1

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Mike McCoy would bring a pro style offense, NFL experience, and would have the highest likelyhood of maintaining defensive continuity because he is part of the Ute family.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Yeah but we don’t know if he can recruit. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

We don’t really even know if he can coach 

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Frankly, we don’t know if any of the suggested names could recruit to Utah with the exception of Lance Anderson who would likely sack the whole staff.  At least McCoy knows the lay of the land and can slap the seal of the league on the coffee table in recruits homes.  As far as coaching goes, his level of success in the NFL though spotty, impresses me a hell of alot more at face value than someone with a three year turn around of an MWC or AAC school. I know we romanticize the hot young lower division coach because we trapped lightning in a bottle with Urban but looking at the coaching hires nationally over the last decade we seem to have been the exception not the rule.   

Riley Martin
        Ute Fan
        @asutes

He’s about to be run out of Arizona.  

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

How many people would have been thrilled to have hired Chip Kelly at Utah??   UCLAns used to be, but they are not now.   Grass is always greener?

KWhitt didn’t commit the stupid penalties that cost Utah the game.  Now we could say he needs to come down harder on people that make mistakes, yes, but we don’t know everything that happens off the field.   Not every player responds well to a coach who goes berserk over such stuff — but agreed sometime KWhitt just frowns and nothing much seems to come from it.  Also he seems to take the best athletes and move them to defense — maybe he needs to make the oh-fense more of a priority in recruiting and player development.   Also the selection of oh-fensive depth chart seems more about who makes fewer mistakes than about who has “it” to lift up the rest of the team and perform best under pressure — those guys are rare, like Baker Mayfield — and I”m not advocating starting a raw freshman at QB, but maybe it is time to give Shelly some more reps.  The Utes are not going to win many games with the oh-fense scoring so little.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Like I mentioned, I’m fine with Whit, but if he has a middle of the road PAC 12 record, he shouldn’t get paid top tier PAC 12 coaching salary. 

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Stupid game. Mark Harlin is the AD. If he thinks it’s time for a change, one of the considerations is who he might have lined up in his network to come in and take over. Fans play this game, but it’s really quite pointless, short-sighted and inflammatory.

Just stir the pot because you are a Whitt loyalist, Mmm Hmm.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Or because we recognize that you don’t throw out a man who helped build this program from the dumpster fire it was in the 70s and 80s to what it is now. And make no mistake, he was the common denominator in this rise.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Were you even around when it was time for Mac to go?

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Yes I was.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

And what’s going down now doesn’t seem eerily familiar to you?

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

It does in some regards but not in others.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

Five who might leave for Utah (Better coaches however?)

Luke Fickellhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Fickell (Defensive Minded, however coached under Tressel and Meyer $1.9m)
      Bryan Harsinhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Harsin (Former QB, 45-13 record, 3-1 Bowls – $1.5m)
      Bush Hamdanhttps://gohuskies.com/staff.aspx?staff=324 (Former QB, OC at Washington, NFL Coaching – $$ Unknown)
      Pete Kwiatkowskihttps://gohuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2950&path=football (Former DL, DC at Washington – $875k)
      Mike Elkohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Elko (Defensive Coordinator, great recruiter – $$ Unknown)

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Hypothetical Game: What better coach views Utah as a better school to coach than