I hate the transfer portal

Viewing 8 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We have now lost three running backs in just months.  This is a position where you need some depth and now we have little.

If a kid isn’t starting he will decide to transfer.  I hate this new world of college football transfers.  We may be helped in the future, but I haven’t seen us get a great gain yet.  Rising may end up being great, I hope he does.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I agree, Proud, I think we haven’t seen a great gain yet but I also don’t think we’ve seen a big loss yet either.  MOST of the time, the kids that have left Utah saw the writing on the wall in terms of playing time.  I’m mildly surprised with Wilmore entering the portal, but maybe he’s just testing the waters.  I think the one that has hurt the most so far is Jaylen Dixon.  He was our deep threat last year.  

I’m hoping we can pick up a decent QB to help fill in the gaps. 

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

I agree.  Dixon was a HUGE loss for us.  Very unfortunate.

ThurstonW
      Ute Fan
      @thurstonw

In such a strange year with no loss of eligibility and an injury that limited his carries, I’m suprised Wilmore gave up so quickly.  I hope he is successful wherever he lands.

We’ve got 2 scholarship RBs left on the roster and one recruit on the hook.  We’re going to need to find at least one more.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Didn’t Rising transfer under the old system?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

No he was a portal guy. It might have been the first year of the portal but that’s how he came here.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I am not very surprised. And I am also not that worried. We have two solid rbs for what remains of this season, and another good one joining next year. That is sufficient. Also, trying to balance new recruit signings and the extra year of eligibility for seniors is going to require saying goodbye to some underclassmen before next fall.

I realize Wilmore was a heralded recruit, but he was beat at the position. That happens. Jordan and Bernard have shown better vision and run with the “violence” that we have seen from Moss and Booker. Wilmore didn’t seem to demonstrate the ability to get past the first contact or punish tacklers. It may be that he did not get enough time to demonstrate that ability – but it is an open competition and the younger guys stepped up in their early opportunities.

It is too bad that players transfer immediately when they get pushed down the depth chart. I mean, I definitely understand the desire to play. If you put in the time, you don’t want to stand on the sidelines your whole career. But there is strength and character that can be built through adversity, and scrapping your way back to a starting position.

1 1

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

Your last paragraph is what is frustrating about this. I understand Brumfield being an upperclassman but Wilmore still had some time to prove his worth, especially given he has been injured. I personally am getting a little tired of these kids thinking they deserve to start immediately without proving their worth and when they find out they aren’t ‘the guy’ they give up and leave. 

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

That’s not what I saw.  I saw a Wilmore who had all the speed and skills necessary to take the 1st-team reps.  The only players I was more disappointed to lose amid this new “transfer portal” era, were Jack Tuttle and Jaylen Dixon.

Jay
          Ute Fan
          @utahhhh

Then you need to watch closely, Wilmore had touches last year and early this year to show his capability and he showed worse than Ty Jordan and Micah Bernard. He’s averaging about 3 yards a carry, Jordan is averaging 8 yards a carry the last two games, huge difference. Wilmore does not have the ability to run through the tackles as well as Ty Jordan and Bernard, and that’s how we run the ball, up the middle. He would likely be 4th string next year behind Ricky Parks.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Losing Wilmore sucks.

Brumfield was not progressing at all. He ran like he had a stick up his ass to his head at times. No vision at all.

Good luck to them both though. It can happen now at any position and kids are smart to pursue playing time to improve their chances. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

With these two entering the portal today, I’m surprised Enis hasn’t put in yet. Maybe he will stay after all.

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

Completely disagree, Wilmore and brumfield don’t deserve touches over jordan and bernard but deserve to have a chance elsewhere and the portal gives them that chance, hope the best for them. We still have ricky parks coming in who looks like another monster and we probably need just one more for depth but we’re fine.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

Didn’t Whitt say that once a player looks at the portal, he’s done here?

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I hate the transfer portal