I have a question:

Viewing 7 reply threads
      10 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Everyone says “run more, play Utah football, etc”. 

Yet last year, when we did just that, we all wanted ARod fired. 

So, Whitt fires ARod, bring in a passing guy, just like we all wanted, but because his system doesn’t fit our more experienced players, everyone freaks out? 

So, instead of allowing the new OC time to Out in his system, allowing a sophomore QB time to learn with his sophomore RB’s, and more 4 star sophomore and freshmen WR’s than we’ve ever had, we want to scrap everything and go back to ARod Ball? 

Dumb. Make the change or don’t. 

We know we can’t win the PAC-12 playing “Utah” football. So, why go back to it?

I hope we don’t run it 40 times tonight. I hope we pass it 70% if the time. That is what Taylor does. That is what he will be successful at. Let’s let him do his job and get this team better. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Moss should run ~20 times. Dude gets 5 YPC. Feed the Mosster.

1 1

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

I think people last year wanted more/better passing because it sucked last year as with many years before.  So I see nothing wrong with last year people wanting a competent passing game to go with a good run game. If we had that we would have won the South. 

I also have no problem with people wanting to run more this year. Moss is averaging 5 plus yards a carry in PAC12 play and he only gets 10 or so carries at OR. Seems like a problem to me. 

In order to be really good Utah is going to need to be competent at both running and passing. One can be the go to, but you have to be able to rely on both.  Utah has not been able to do that yet. So of course people are going to complain.  And until they can do both people will be right to complain. 

2 1

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. No body has every won anything throwing the ball 70% of the time. Its about the efficiency not the frequency. Taylor’s brand of offense is NOT going to win in the Pac12. He needs to adapt and come closer to the center. Contrary to popular belief, our passing game didn’t suck last year. 2700 yds 15 TD/8 int is okay especially when you are rushing for 1400.

Aside from B.Johnson, Taylor is the least qualified OC we have ever had. He has zero resume to speak of. So, my question is why do we need to give him time? Why all of this optimism around Troy Taylor? The only answer I can think of is because we simply can’t keep changing OC’s every year. Even if he is deficient we have to stick with him for the sake of consistency and hope for the best. That’s a pretty poor reason for optimism.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Then it was a stupid hire. Taylor shouldn’t change. I wouldn’t change if I was Taylor. 

We hired him to do his offense.

if we didn’t want this, we shouldn’t have hired him. 

pics
        Ute Fan
        @pics

Actually, I think Roderick was the least qualified OC. At least Taylor has played qb. Jury is still out on how successful Taylor will be.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I just want Utah to score more points. ASU and UCLA have serious problems defending the run. Seems you should take advantage of that. Utah does those things well because they recruit well at OL and RB. They can’t develop qbs and call it a throwing game.

I know it is a dumb joke but you pass the ball in football. You throw it in baseball or let’s say the Javelin in track. Maybe they should focus on getting a passing attack instead of a throw game. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Nothing will work if the O line can’t block.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think this is the real problem. Did Harding pack it in? Are there philosophical differences between Harding and Taylor? There is definitely a problem there. 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

6 game ready O-lineman with one banged up in a new scheme.  They’ve underperformed for sure..exciting talent waiting in the wings, just not quite ready.  Huge difference across the board next year.  Virtually no Senior leadership…DC, Salesi and Lo…and DC joned a month before the season.  Outside of that EVERYONE returns along with Shyne and Covey and Boyd, Hampton and Thompson who are all big time talents at WR.  

Harding is working hard and knows what he’s doing…Taylor doesn’t back down from anyone including Whit.  The players believe in them both.  Frustrating times for sure but the talent is there to turn it…if it doesn’t happen next year AND the year after with 8-10 wins (minimum) then blow it up.  

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I think this team was well on its way to working out this new system. Maybe not mastering it, but getting quality reps and developing an identity. I get that we played cupcakes the first 3 games, but it was the reps that mattered. To lose Huntley to injury when it happened was a huge blow, because he needed the reps against pac 12 competition. Then for 2 games we sort of go back to 2016 Utah football, (which for the record I thought looked good even though we lost those 2 games close.) Then throw a not 100% Huntley back in there against the wolves, the assignments get confused, the guys are young and inexperienced anyway, the offense can’t stay on the field which affects the defense…you get what we’ve been seeing. 

What I think is getting lost is also the fact that the defense is practicing against a different style, not getting as many reps against the run. So I think there’s also something to the Taylor/Scalley combo that needs to improve. 

I get that Taylor has a light resume, but I like to think Whit knows how to evaluate coordinator talent and there’s a reason he sought after Taylor. I didn’t expect the offense to be installed perfectly this year, and the idea of scrapping it all after this year is bats**t crazy to me. But so is the talk of firing Whit, so…that’s just my perspective.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Here is Moss’ runs from last week: -1, 4, 2, 5, 7, 14, 5, 19, 4. And after one of those long runs he left the field with an injury, which we don’t know how that ding played into the decision to run him later. Also, later in the game we were down and trying to claw back.

cbmute
        Ute Fan
        @cbmute

That is a fair point. When did he leave the game against OR?

I don’t think Moss is anywhere close to what Booker was.  But in the USC game he was a huge reason that game was even close.  That was by far the best he has played as a Ute.  But it he has been used very sparingling since the USC game. 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I have a question: