I would hate to be a college football coach in December

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Things a college football coach has on his plate in December:

– A good team will be going to a bowl. They need to prepare for the bowl game, but the most critical part of this – is to develop young players for next season.

– You must do everything you can to keep your best players from going to the portal. Part of this now includes working with boosters to get players competitive NIL deals.

– You need to finish recruiting for the first “letter of intent” day.

– You need to be working the portal to see who you can bring in to fill in your weak spots. You need to be looking at 3-5K players, evaluating them, bringing them in for visits, getting NIL deals, etc. If you want them in spring ball, you need to get them into school before mid January.

– You need to evaluate your coaching staff to determine if changes need to be made and look for replacements.

– On top of everything else – if you have guys who are looking to leave for the NFL, you need to help them evaluate their opportunities.

This is the month when the coaches earn the millions they are being paid.

Oh, don’t forget to find your wife a great Christmas gift to make up for not being home the entire month. 🙂

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

3-5 THOUSAND players? I really hope they are not that inefficient. Seems like you would have an idea of a narrow list around 200-300.

It feels like a lot of the players do the leaning on some of these transfers. You would task Rising with a lot in his ability to sway people.

All of these kids are communicating. Sometimes social media and texts. In fact it is funny how most kids don’t even want a phone call. You send out texts a lot I bet.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

You know what I think? That big-time college football programs are going to have to go to an NFL style management model in order to be successful. So, essentially you’re going to have to have a GM that’s in charge of talent acquisition and managing NIL and a coach in charge of the on field product and team discipline. There’s no way that, the way things are shaping up in college football, one person could do it all or, at least, do it well.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

That makes a lot of sense. I can see college football programs hiring a general manager so the coach can focus on coaching.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I think they already do this a lot. At least the schools with money. Have a ton of recruiting coordinators that go through tape and send out texts and letters. They take the tape to the position coaches, “hey, here are the top 50 kids for you.” The position coaches then eval those 50 kids and pick their top ones to recruit. Then then HC comes in and makes final cuts.

I think that is part of the reason why there isn’t as many diamonds in the rough. Every kid gets looked at.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

We need NIL deals setup so that a player that leaves before the end of the season (which includes bowl games) then they forfeit their $$$$

W16Ute
        Ute Fan
        @w16ute

This seems like the next iteration of NIL. Contracts saying you need to play this long, stay for this many years, or have metrics to receive the money… Enough exposure or duration to value the investment from the outside entity.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I would hate to be a college football coach in December