I would love Alex Jensen Hire

Viewing 2 reply threads
      9 3

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

1. Local – check (knows the market, knows the talent, has plenty of high school connections)

2. LDS -check – This that does matter in this market. No, you dont have to be LDS to hold the job (Majerus). But being LDS, growing up in Utah he understands the culture.  Even though I disliked LK (as a coach) LK understoodthe culture as well so again you dont have to be LDS. But we would be lying to oursleves if we said it didnt help. 

3. Coached under Majerus and played under him during Utah’s heyday. Coached under Majerus in St Louis. Watched Majerus completly rebuild that program into an NCAA tournament contending team. Has midwest connections. 

4. Coached under Quinn. Quinn is the new school, Majerus the old school. I dont think Majerus old school harsh ways would work now days. However, Quinn is tough, is a players coach, develops and has instilled an offense that is basketball now a days. The three ball.  Alex has the number 2 has been a major reason for the rise of the jazz. Further Alex is one of if not the main reason for assisiting Gobert to be who he is today. (As a coach Obvi) 

5. Most important – Alex understands the expectations. At Utah its tourney or bust. Nowadays we would take a tourney appearance every other or every two years. I believe Alex wants to be great. He’s been waiting for an opportunity to show uo. Further, if made coach my guess is Rylan would stay. Possibly Martinez too although, maybe Alex would need to hire his dad in some capacity. Allen is gone, although, I didn’t expect him to come back again anyways, and who knows with Plummer. 

I hope this is the hire made. 

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

Allen is gone? Is this a 100% sure thing?

Great post and agree with all points about AJ! Harlan needs to do whatever he can to make this happen.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I wouldn’t assume anything at this point. If Allen is wavering, he very well might stay if he likes the new hire.

3 1

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Does the assistant coach automatically become a great HC based on who they worked under? Chip Kelly was great at Oregon but Helfrich fizzled. Ty Corbin was terrible but he coached and played under Sloan…

Let’s pretend you’re Harlan and your career is on the line with this hire.

You just fired an apparently “great guy” with a 7 million dollar buyout that’s “honest and did things the right way,” and the PAC12 in the tournament so far is making your decision look…preemptive. Are you wagering your career on an unproven HC?

What religion, color, sexual orientation he/she may be means jack s**t. The coach has to excel at recognizing talent and developing it to compete in today’s professional levels.

Harlan needs the best proven Coach he can find. Not because he’s LDS and local…

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Alex’s rep in the NBA is good. Lots of teams thinking he’ll be a good HC. He’s learned the new style of hoops from Snyder and classic style from Majerus. He’ll be great.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Believe he would be, but don’t agree with being “local” and “mormon” B.S.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Agree. You know who were great assistants before coming to Utah? Jim Boylen and Ray Giacolleti. I’m with you, unless Alex Jensen is a sure fire can’t miss, I’d rather get a proven HC, and let Alex cut his teeth somewhere else.

I get shat on for saying that Craig Smith turned Utah State around but it’s true. They hadn’t been to the tourney since 2011 and now they’re consistently top two in their league and have gone to the tourney each year he’s been there (3). They also have a team identity, and that identity is defense and rebounding. I’m not saying we have to get him, but he has the “type” of proven resume we should look at.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) I would love Alex Jensen Hire