I’m devastated by the news from today.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I have one thought from today, and I want you all to share this with your children, and/or understand it for yourselves. This nation is full of guns. You or your children may easily encounter them some day, whether you approve of them or not. These are the four cardinal rules of gun safety, and if every person understands them, and remembers them, perhaps tragedy can be avoided. Please understand I am not trying to change your opinion or influence you one way or the other, but you should know these rules. If everyone in the country knew these and followed them implicitly, tragedies could be avoided.

1. Always treat every gun, as if it is always loaded.

2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy.

3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

4. Always be sure of your target, and what is behind it.

I will also say that for younger children, they should be taught that if they encounter a gun, at home, in a friends house, anywhere. They should stop, do not touch it, and inform an adult immediately.

Please also if you have young children, keep your guns secured and inaccessible to them. There are plenty of secure devices, such as fingerprint safes, which allow you quick access, but are inaccessible to children.

God bless you, and keep you safe.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I agree with what you said. I was at Doug Shooting sports on Christmas Eve morning for my sons 16th birthday that day. We try to be so careful by practicing our gun safety beforehand, without guns. An index finger will do. Point your index finger straight down at the ground, now turn to your right, now turn to your left. Did you “flag” anyone with your finger barrel (point your finger across your or anyone else’s body)? No? Good. For added safety I transfer my firearms for such event with no magazine in the gun and the action / slide open. When at the range, all weapons are at the table facing into the range and there is no reason to have a loaded gun except at that table with the firearm pointed into the range. I think it’s helpful for my son to see and practice these precautions. I think teaching a proper respect and healthy fear for guns has gone by the wayside. They can be so much fun. But must be respected. Teaching and practicing gun safety will help increase safety IMO.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I’m copying this and sharing to social media. FYI.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc I’m devastated by the news from today.