I’m happy about the win, but we have some problems …

Viewing 5 reply threads
      7 7

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Phillips, Hubert, and Bishop played well on defense.  But, we could NOT stop the run.  Also, many OSU receivers were wide open.  I will give the guys credit for good red-zone D.  However, we have issues.

On offense, we could not run the ball effectively except Rising.  Wow, our running game was pathetic.  The passing game was good enough to take advantage of short fields.  I am not too worried about the passing game.  The running game on the other hand has some issues.  I am not smart enough to know what the problems are, but there are issues.

We are not the team I thought we would be.  The win was nice and we took advantage of short fields which is something we did not do last week.

Congrats to Phillips on a GREAT game!!!

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

Combining last year and this year, Utah is 11-1 in the PAC-12. I get that some things feel a little off, enjoy the fact these guys have been kicking everyone’s asses though.

Utah is a bully at this point, I can promise you the majority of fanbases would happily swap their issues with Utah’s

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

For sure .. the first couple of quarters were frustrating to watch .. but they figured it out and capitalize on it big time .. that should be more of the focus at this point ; shows a mature team .. feeling pretty good about next week

5 7

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Sure they would.  But, we had expectations that these guys were a top-ten team.  They are not.  I know I got a lot of down votes and that’s okay.  I am just calling it as I see it.  It was a 26-point victory.  But, we did not dominate the LOS as you would hope we could do.  

YES, I am happy we won.  I am just worried about the next few weeks.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

Oregon state beat us in the trenches last year too.

Utah needs to do better up front.

GreatNorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @greatnorthernute

Lets not forget that OSU held USC to 17 points last week.  Pretty hard to judge the offense given all the short fields they had.  I am just grateful we got the turnovers and did not get into a dogfight like USC did.0

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

Good perspective statement on OSU. If they don’t turn the ball over they win last week and we’re in a real close one this week. That said, their report card isn’t looking good so far and ours looks good, not great. Proud makes a good point. Neither of our lines are great. I think we’re good but the D’line got bullied a number of times and the linebackers were’nt filling gaps in cutback lanes very well. The O’line cannot generate lanes in the middle. I do think we keep improving week to week.

I thought Rising was strong today and Vele was terrific. Perhaps we need to throw to set up the run rather than the reverse for at least a few games. I thought pass protection was terrific.

Phillips is special.

2 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Utah’s Oline was great. The problem is Thomas is out of shape. Bernard is hurt. Glover is young and they are trying to install Jackson. Rising had like 77 yards on the ground. 

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @utebiquitous

Loved Rising running but that wasn’t because of the O’Line. I’ll quibble with you on great. Pass protect is great. Rushing blocking is mediocre at best. But I think they’ll continue to get better. That’s what is so terrific about this team – the team gets better as the season goes along most years.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

There is something wrong up the middle with the guards. Outside the tackles and when Utah pulls they are fine. Pass pro has been outstanding on the year. Best I have seen Utah do this early for a long time. 

Tednab
            Ute Fan
            @tednab

Thomas is out of it both mentally and physically .. coaching staff hasn’t given up on him either; which speaks volumes of how family they truly are.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

SC had 4 turnovers too, and won by 3.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

OSU sold out to stop the rush.
      Utah abandoned it for the most part. Dixon had a rushing TD, Rising had a Rushing TD. I think Utah is fine. 

Utahs Oline is very good when they pull lineman and go up field. 

Vele is unguardable. THROW HIM THE BALL!!

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Proud, sorry man but this take is so myoptic.  Outside of the God Tier teams [Ohio State, Bama, and UGA (who is losing to Mizzou)] every team in the top 25 has issues.  I am not sure what you were expecting but it clearly wasn’t based on reality.  All teams go 3 and out, struggle to execute game plans, committ stupid penalties, and have matchup problems against certain opponents.  In a shocking developement these 19-24 year old kids who play against other teams that are trying to accomplish the same outcome for their side are less than perfect.

It’s like we are back in the MWC where we sit around and bitch about 20+ point wins because they were not “impressive” enough.  SMH

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Utah dominate a team with a winning percentage. That is the headline for this game. 

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

2 things, OSU’s run D is really good and their D overall is good.  Give them some due.

On our run game, the one thing Kuithe never got credit for was his blocking – especially on run plays.  We will need to adjust to make up for that.  IMHO his loss will hurt us there more than anywhere else, and yes, I do know how big he was in the recieving game.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I’m happy about the win, but we have some problems …