Jaylon Johnson #16

Viewing 6 reply threads

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

http://www.1280thezone.com/16-jaylon-johnson-university-of-utah/

The future first round draft pick can’t even crack the top 10 player in the state. LMAO. This list is absolute trash.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Won’t even dignify it with a click. Morons. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

They had Troy Warner as a better safety than Ballard and Blair. They are idiots. 

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

I get Warner. Ballard wasn’t all Pac-12, and Blair only started a few games, right now I’d probably give Warner the edge as well, but they’re all ranked fairly close together 

2 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

That being said, I think there are ten players more valuable to Utah this year than him. 

And that’s awesome. 

3 1

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

10 players more valuable than a shutdown corner, a great tackler, a corner who can fight off a block to blow up a play? Well, that’s one way of thinking.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Yeah. Off the top of my head, Moss, Huntley, Barton, Fotu, Falemaka, Anae, Hansen, Blackmon, Covey are all more important to Utah’s win total. 

So, 9. 

NOW, that doesn’t mean he isn’t amazing. We are just stacked at that position. 

1 5

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Where would you rank Jaylon on our own team? Because I’ll tell you, I barely have him in the top 10. Keep in mind he is a true sophomore coming off of a year end shoulder injury.

Personally, I would put Jaylon behind the following Utes: (In no particular order) Huntley, Moss, Anae, Blackmon, Covey, Gay, Wishnowsky, Hansen, and Fotu. 

Johnson might be a 1st round pick one day, but if they held the 2019 NFL draft today, he would be an undrafted free agent at best. 

4 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA…

undrafted?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

1 6

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Yes, undrafted. He started just TWO games for us last year and wasn’t even honorable mention All-Conference.

But you’re probably right, a true sophomore who was mostly 2nd string for us last year would totally get drafted if the draft was held today.  

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Johnson played all last season WITH the injured shoulder. By his measurements alone he’s an elite first-second round draft pick.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Please explain why you would hav the better corne behind Blackmon?

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

He’s not.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Johnson is the better corner? According to who?

Blackmon = Started all 13 games last year, 2nd team All-conference, bowl game MVP, led the team in INTs, passes defended, and pass break-ups. Also had the 2nd most tackles out of all of our DBs.

Johnson = Started only 2 games last year, no conference honors, tied for the team lead in pass break-ups(with Blackmon) and half as many tackles as Blackmon.

By any objective measure, Blackmon is the better corner TODAY. As their careers play out, Johnson may end up being the better corner, but he has not proven to be better than Blackmon yet.

gUrthBrooks
            Ute Fan
            @hammer

Johnson’s athleticism is elite, period. End of story. Full stop.He had the 5th lowest passer rating when targeted of all the CB’s in the CONFERENCE, and that was as a freakin true freshman. He had the same amount of pass deflections as Julian Blackmon in 3 less games. I would argue less opportunities for picks because of less QB’s throwing his way. Teams at times last year completely avoided throwing the ball at Jaylon. Blackmon gave up two TD’s, Johnson zero.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

IIRC, Blackmon was routinely matched up with the opponent’s #1 WR while Johnson rarely, if ever, drew that duty. 

I would argue the ball was thrown Johnson’s way fewer times because QBs will always look to their #1 guy first and it is easier for a CB to lockdown the #2 or worse guy than it is to lockdown the #1 guy.

Also, according to the team website, Johnson played in all 12 regular season games so it would be 1 less game than Blackmon. Though, I seem to recall Johnson sitting out the Colorado game so maybe it was 2.  

EDIT to address your edit: To say that Blackmon gave up 2 TDs while Johnson gave up zero as an argument that Johnson is better is questionable. First, because Blackmon was typically defending the better WR; second, because Blackmon played in more games and played more downs in every game, thus there were many more opportunities for him to eventually give up a TD. It’s inevitable that even the best CBs are going to give up TDs.

2 1

noneyadb
                Ute Fan
                @noneyadb

Before making false accusations go back and double check. Johnson was matched up with Pettis vs Washington, Henry vs ASU, and often opponents #1 WR, with an injured shoulder.

UteThunder
                  Ute Fan
                  @utethunder

So you’re saying we routinely lined up an injured, 2nd string, freshman corner on our opponents’ #1 WR? Is that really your position?

I’m sure Johnson defended the top WR from time to time, in fact I remember him giving up a huge pass play to Pettis on the opening play of the UW game. But there is no way he was covering the #1 WR more often than Blackmon did. 

gUrthBrooks
                    Ute Fan
                    @hammer

Your speculation isn’t fact and makes for a weak argument

UteThunder
                      Ute Fan
                      @utethunder

Facts:

Johnson was 2nd string and received no post-season honors such as freshman All-American, All-Conference, etc.

More Facts:

Blackmon started all 13 games, was 2nd team All-Pac12 and the bowl game MVP. 

So, either our coaches are complete morons who started an inferior player(Blackmon) over a superior player(Johnson) . . . OR . . . Maybe, just maybe, I’m right here and Johnson has yet to prove he is better than Blackmon.

COFfrom83
      Ute Fan
      @coffrom83

what would expect from a station that airs kinehack? accurate and insightful sports reporting? HA! gimme a break.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I got like a buck that says Mangum comes in at or after #15.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Oh jeez. I hope not. Wasn’t Marcus Williams’ last year, he was like 28 or something? 

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Closer to 18! I checked the way back machine not in the top 10 or 15 but not lower than 25.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

Man. Saw a 15 in your post and thought we talking about sacks. Carry on.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jaylon Johnson #16