Johnson new Eagles OC

Viewing 2 reply threads

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am excited for BJ.  Whitt saw something there over a decade ago.  

Now, he needs to get Covey some reps at WR.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

I felt Covey did a more than adequate job as PR, but he’s just one WR signing/draftee that returns punts away from being out in Philly. I think the locker room liked him, but if they can double WR/PR, he might become redundant. Nothing to knock him, but the business side might make it hard to be a luxury (Philly could, but not many other teams can afford a roster spot just of that) to just catch and sometimes get 15-20 yards on a punt return. I’m glad he got to live his dream, getting pulled up from the practice squad then they had to sign and pay him. Hopefully, it continues, but hopefully he’s saving and has a great career ahead (anyone know if he is considering coaching or will he go business?).

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

I know this has morphed into a Covey discussion, but have some thoughts about it.

I think Covey is a premium shifty runner, but lacks great speed that most punt returners seem to have.

But the plus that Covey showed over this last season is the sure hands and cool head to catch the ball in the pressure situation of punt returns. Muffed punts almost always end in a turnover. I think it is the reason the Eagles kept Covey in the starting position all of last season, when there are probably several WR on the team that have greater straight line speed.

I like to watch Covey and hope that he takes one back for a TD some day, but If he continues to catch the ball, and get some adequate return yardage, I’d hope he keeps the job.

And yes, I hope Covey gets a shot a WR this next year.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Johnson new Eagles OC