Just got my new Google Pixel phone

Viewing 7 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Opening the box now. Hope it doesn’t suck because it cost a fortune.

1MNUte
      Ute Fan
      @1mnute

I’ve been waiting for the 128 GB to be in stock. You’ll have to review the phone for us. Looks like a good one.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

This one is the 128GB version. Setting it up now. Doesn’t seem to want to activate.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’ve had iPhones since about 2010…but I’m starting to become annoyed with the changes. They made such a great product at first…maybe I’m getting old, but every new version seems to take something great and make it less good. 

What’s the good/bad on the Pixel? What do you think so far (in your short time with it? lol)?

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

My good friend got one when they first came out. He seems to love it. I’ve played around on it and it seems pretty great. Having everything back up automatically to the Cloud with a huge amount of storage seems pretty great. The only thing preventing me from swapping from my iPhone right now is iMessage. Can’t really beat it for texting.

But, I think I am going to swap over soon. I’m getting sick of Apple’s s**t.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Try Google Hangouts. If you can get friends/family on it, it’s great.

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

Let us know how you like it.  

I have been a Samsung guy since the Note [1].  I am suffering with the Note 4 (last Note with both a swappable batttery and an SD card slot) waiting for the Note 8 to come out (my Note 7 order was cancelled by Samsung due to fire concerns :/).  However, I am a bit frustrated that Samsung seems to be parting ways with Google.  

The Gear S3 is a great piece of hardware with a slick operating system, but no apps… thanks to Tizen.  Meaning no Google Assistant, Google Play, or Google Maps; you are locked into S Health.  Depending on how Android Wear 2.0 tests, I may ditch Samsung entirely.  It’s like they have become the Apple of Android.  I will miss the S-Pen, but I think I would drop that for Google Assistant.

I like Google Home even with the dummed down Google Assistant.  The voice recognition seems to be the best I have used (S-voice, Siri, Cortana, but no Alexa).

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Ok it took a bit to get it activated but it’s up and running.  Charging now and updating apps.

Ultimate Ute
      Ute Fan
      @randallbouza

Am I the only one here that doesn’t have a mobile* phone?  My wife and three kids all have Apple stuff.  For me personally, the solution is worse than the problem.  Besides, they are not allowed in the building that I work, Joint Space Operations Center (JSpOC), Vandenberg AFB, CA.  I currently work on the staff of Lt Gen Buck, Cyber Division (see link below).

The communist news network (CNN.com) was in our office a few months ago, compiling an hour long feature on space and cyber war.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZBLFhb_lg  

A year before that, CBS 60 minutes did a show (Lt Gen Raymond was the JSpOC commander at that time):

Don’t get CNN at home, no pay TV (another solution looking for a problem).  Every time I check in to a hotel and scan the TV offerings, I’m suprised at how many people are willing to pay for the dozens (hundreds?) of channels of video wasteland.

On the other hand, I do have the best surfing and alpine ski equipment money can buy.

* – Somewhat related to this thread, excellent book.
      The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Guessing you spend your day in a SCIF.  

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

I have a non-expolding Samsung.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Bride of admin had the exploding phone. Had to change to an iPhone the day we left on vacation because she couldn’t fly with it.

Big Z
        Ute Fan
        @bigz

I also work in a facility that I can’t have my phone but that doesn’t stop me from having a smart phone. There’s no way I could go back to having a flip phone, I rely on my phone way too much.

vcsg01
      Ute Fan
      @vcsg01

Sweet, I’ve had my xl since early November coming from a S6 edge. I love it. The photo and video is great all around and the unlimited photo/video backups makes the purchase worth it for me and my wife. Just wish that there was the same support from the case makers as there is for the iphone. Really want one of the cases from Peel or Caudabe.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Just got my new Google Pixel phone