KW listed as the 3rd best coach going into 2024 per ESPN

Viewing 2 reply threads

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

3. Kyle Whittingham, Utah
      2023 record: 8-5 (•615)
      Career record: 162-79 (.672)

Utah is the only home Whittingham has known since arriving at the school as the defensive line coach in 1994. He was elevated to defensive coordinator the next year and to head coach upon the departure of Urban Meyer just before the end of the 2004 season.

Since then, Whittingham has been a hallmark of consistency, finishing with just two losing seasons in 19 years (right after Utah made the jump from the Mountain West to the Pac-12). He guided the Utes to an undefeated season in 2008, two Pac-12 titles and eight top-25 finishes in the AP poll, including six in the past 10 years. All at a school without the resources of the other coaches’ programs on this list. — Bonagura

2 3

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Maybe a tad high? He’s definitely top-10, but I’d have him between 5-10. Regardless, we are dang lucky to have him and I scoff and mock anyone who thinks we ought to move on from him, which is usually a solid handful of people per season. Is he perfect, certainly not. There are lots of things that get irritating from handling the QB position last season, to our use of WR’s. Regardless, he’s awesome.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

Having it be for 2024 I could see why he’s at 3 since there’s of a lot of expectations for the football team next season.

UteNamedOg
        Ute Fan
        @utenamedog

I think it’s possible that it may be high, but not by much. The teams show a trend of consistently improving, he develops players very well, and recruiting classes in the 30s and 40s turn into teams ranked in the teens by CFP.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Take whatever coach you think should be above Whitt. Put them at Utah and Whitt at their school. What are you expectations. Take for example, Ryan Day. Put him at Utah, Whitt at Ohio State.

Does Ohio State’s expectations go down? Nope. Maybe even go up with Whitt as the HC.

What about Day at Utah. Can he have the success here Whitt has had? I’m not so sure about that. Day struggles to beat his rival. Whitt has never had that problem.

Now, do this with whoever else you think should be above Whitt. You’ll find that Whitt is probably where he belongs at #3.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Of course there are several metrics: wins, development, recruiting, flashy/innovative offense/defense, culture. So, depending on many factors, hard to say who is ‘best’. So, is there anyone else that I would prefer over Whit AT Utah? Nope. Actual number doesn’t matter. Nice he continues to get recognition. Most coaches put him super high and do not want to play a Whit led team.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football KW listed as the 3rd best coach going into 2024 per ESPN