Listened to Hans

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I was out running some errands this morning and I heard Hans talk about our offensive line.  He said they played sloppily.

The good news is that we were not being overpowered.  So, our mistakes are fixable and I bet they are getting a lot of film time this week.

The video links below outline some of those mistakes.

2 5

utahsportsguy
      Ute Fan
      @utahsportsguy

according to this site, Utah’s OL has an average rank of 70 since 2014 for unadjusted sack rate, which begs the question, how long does Whitt put up with. crappy pass pro…

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Don’t look at short yardage situations…

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Because of injuries, I think the jury is still out on this year’s Oline.  But, I get your point.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

We also had Huntley and Bentley, two guys who were abnormally good at avoiding sacks. Bentley sucked at a bunch of things, but he was good at avoiding pressure.

mfaulk80
          Ute Fan
          @mfaulk80

Also two guys who held onto the ball too long…

1 1

utahsportsguy
            Ute Fan
            @utahsportsguy

Wilson and Williams didn’t have enough time (and they were slow in making decisions). Huntley was better but would have been great had he had a second or two to make better reads. 

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Watching those videos that Hans posted really emphasizes how amazing Brewer played. He made fast reads and got the ball out to the right target, despite lots of pressure in his face. Lesser QBs would have taken a sack or thrown the ball away, but he calmly delivered on target to the hot read and got the first down. So fun to have him at QB (with the caveat that it was just game 1 against an FBS school).

therealu
      Ute Fan
      @therealu

We weren’t overpowered with the exception of Maile; he was repeatedly pushed backwards, especially early on. We need Laumea to be healthy. 

For the most part, the issues were just being sloppy, not recognizing a stunt or a delayed blitz. 

I was probably too harsh on the OL immediately following the game, but they were still the weak link on O. OL play has kept Utah from winning a P12 title, and needs to improve. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Listened to Hans