Makes me wonder Portal & NIL

Viewing 2 reply threads

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

with all the Portal & NIL stories & rumors flying…

Kincaid was supposedly offered $1,000.000 by Alabama.

Is it possible that one reason he didn’t go, is that he was getting lowballed?

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Not sure about that. I do know that prior to his senior season, no one was thinking he was a 1st round pick. He stuck with the Utes instead of going to Bama and played his way into the 1st round. Specifically that USC game caught everyone’s attention. If he went to Bama who knows what could have happened, but it’s very possible he wouldn’t have had the sake opportunity. Kincaid isn’t dumb, he played the long game and it paid off.

belli1976
        Ute Fan
        @belli1976

Agreed, Central.

I hate to credit anyone’s misfortune. But it was Kuithe’s injury, IMO. There IS NO WAY he would get as many targets without next man up.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Plus NIL was in its infancy two years ago when that happened. I don’t think anyone then would have ventured that college football would essentially become play for pay. There really weren’t people pushing the envelope, actively contacting players, or huge numbers of players entering the portal.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

I’m not sure how anyone couldn’t have seen this coming with NIL. College football has always been pay for play. All NIL did was move it into the open.

I remember an oft repeated quote from Hugh McElheney that when he went pro, he had to take a pay cut. And I knew players at Utah who got hundred dollar handshakes.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

That quote from McElhenny came during a period where professional football was still way behind college football in popularity, so it made sense at the time.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

True, but it would be naive to think that McElheney was an isolated incident or that paying players was something that only happened in the 50’s.

Host families, no-show summer jobs, booster functions.,, those were all ways to funnel money to players that were semi-legal

123punt
      Ute Fan
      @123punt

When the news broke, someone close to the family said he wasn’t interested because he’d already transferred and adjusted to a new program once. The other reason was his family is decently well off, so the money wasn’t a big factor for him.

I doubt very much we were offering the same for him, especially as 2nd on the depth chart.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Makes me wonder Portal & NIL