Makai Cope (Sacramento State) and Kenzel Lawler (Montana) have found new homes

Viewing 3 reply threads

WasatchRanger
      Ute Fan
      @luke8675

Sources:
      Kenzel Lawler Instagram
      Makai Cope Instagram

Hope both find good playing time at their new Big Sky schools.

WasatchRanger
      Ute Fan
      @luke8675

Realized I spelled Makai wrong in the title, doesn’t seem I can edit.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

click edit on the first post. then you can change the title. if you try editing the actual title at the top, it doesn’t work.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Cope just couldn’t catch the dang ball. If he could, he would be starting here.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I’ll say it. Were these guys pushed out? So much hand-wringing on portal guys who leave but I wonder if there are some frank discussions with a few of the players, such as: Look, you’ve been here two years, and from what we’ve seen so far, there’s a very low likelihood that you will ever play more than a few snaps of football. Therefore, you can stay on the team, but we cannot promise a scholarship unless we have extras that are not being used. However, the likelihood is that all will be used by the time Fall school starts is very high.

I know I’m just making s**t up, but this seems like a reasonable conversation.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

During my time following the Utes, the only player I’ve seen go to an arguably better situation after transferring or entering the portal is Nate Johnson going to Vanderbilt. And I say arguably because of Vandy’s academic reputation and it’s membership in the SEC. Everyone else has gone to lesser P4/5 programs, G5, or FCS.

WasatchRanger
          Ute Fan
          @luke8675

Should Kamo’i Latu (Wisconsin) also be on that list?

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Yeah, I guess you could add Latu to that list…but those Wisconsin teams he played in were pretty mediocre, going 14-12 during his two years there. He definitely got more playing time there but his stats were pretty ho-hum.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Xavier Carlton is a starter at CAL.

The bigger issue is that if they weren’t good enough to eventually start at Utah, and didn’t go somewhere else to be a starter, should they have been on the roster in the first place? Everyone likes to point out the recruiting successes while conveniently ignoring the failures when talking about Utah’s great development and ability to find diamonds in the rough.

WasatchRanger
              Ute Fan
              @luke8675

I thought about Carlton. Cal just hasn’t had the same football success so I considered it a downgrade.

I realize Wisconsin hasn’t been awesome re: Kamo’i Latu, but I probably should have included Carlton as well.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

If a kid wants to go pro, getting on the field is what matters. The NFL will find you if you’ve got ability and/or measurables.

Stevie Tuikolovatu (sic?) is an example of a Utah backup who transferred and became a draft pick. It was before the portal so I didn’t include him.

belli1976
          Ute Fan
          @belli1976

Tuttle just got a Natty ring for riding the bench.

Better than riding the bench at Utah and not getting a Natty.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

He was also familiar with Penix as he was backup (or 3rd) at Indiana the same time. Boy, he seems to have been around a long time to never start anywhere. 4*? nah

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Crazy that we’re still talking about a guy that was only in Utah for one semester plus…he couldn’t even win the starter’s job or get on the field consistently at Indiana, and that was even with Penix suffering season-ending injuries every season he was there. I will say that Tuttle is a very smart dude, book-wise, and is set for a civilian career having a BS from Indiana and Master’s from Michigan.

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

Ryan Smith transferred from the Utes to the Gators in 2006, earned 2nd or 3rd team All
          American honors, started all 14 games in 2006 for the Gators and was a 6th round pick by the Titans in the 2007 NFL draft.

concerned
        Ute Fan
        @concerned

I would bet yes. At a minimum, they were told they were never going to play. Lawler had a horrible game ealry in the year, getting beat for a couple of touchdowns IIRC, and entered the portal soon afterward. He has been gone a long time.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Makai Cope (Sacramento State) and Kenzel Lawler (Montana) have found new homes