Maybe we will see Deivon Smith

Viewing 5 reply threads

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

Federal judge just issued a temporary restraining order against the NCAA involving 2-time transfers. Per X (and Yahoo Sports), NCAA released the following statement:

“As a result of today’s decision impacting Division I student-athletes, the Association will not enforce the year in residency requirement for multiple-time transfers and will begin notifying member schools.”

Before that statement I thought the Utes might still take a wait and see approach, but now I think we’ll see him play against UVU and Bellarmine. Great news for the Runnin’ Utes!

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Boom!

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

Utes need Guard help in a bad way. could have used him against the zoobs

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Yeah, I’ve been trying to post this for the past few hours, with an espn and Yahoo link, but stupid work always getting in the way.

Was going to ask if I’m reading it correctly that it should help.

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Ha ha, I was having the same issue at work, that’s why I finally just typed out the statement rather than posting a link.

1 8

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Sorry to be the wet blanket…I doubt you’ll see him. NCAA bylaws state that if this temporary stay ends up getting reversed, teams that play with a player affected by the ruling will have to vacate any wins they pick up in the interim. That’s a risk you can’t take.

I don’t agree, just reporting the news.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

“The NCAA also clarified that there would be no retroactive punishment by playing the impacted players during the next two weeks if the court order is overturned, according to Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic.”

//r00t4Utes
          Ute Fan
          @r00t4utes

So now the question I have is, does this affect eligibility. Like, let’s say he plays, then this 2-week window doesn’t become permanent, so he has to stop playing. I would hope he could redshirt still so he can play next season.

Edited to include link
          Yahoo link

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

And now the NCAA came out today and said that if an athlete plays in the 14-day window, it will count against their redshirt if the court case is overturned on appeal. Can’t see many (if any) teams playing someone for a couple of games if there’s the risk they burn an entire season in doing so.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Where are you reading that?

Everything I read said the judge prohibited that in his ruling.

I think the NCAA is doomed on this. The way they have arbitrarily enforced it will do them in. It clearly violates anti trust to me. Obviously they have to argue it. I remember times when Zona, UNC or others would meet that imaginary burden(bribe) others teams would be denied if they didn’t pony up. Felt like one of the reasons I stopped watching the Tourney mostly because Utah didn’t get a berth though.

NCAA needs to go.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I found it I believe.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Maybe we will see Deivon Smith