Mitchell & Gobert Have a Bad Trend Going

Viewing 3 reply threads

BoiseUTE
      Ute Fan
      @slarson150

Well once again Mitchell and Gobert are out of the playoffs in the 1st round. Not a good trend and I for one was happy to see them both go. Neither one of them I think really show up in the playoffs and now it shows with them on different teams as well. Hopefully in the next couple years the Jazz will show us all it was a good thing with the trades and draft picks they picked up.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I’m still sad to see Gobert go – I really appreciated his loyalty to Utah. Couldn’t care less about Mitchell

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Death, taxes and Donny getting done in by Jalen Brunson!

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

Hate to see it!

4 2

KoolWhitt
        Ute Fan
        @koolwhitt

I appreciate your perspective, but I don’t really understand why many fans still seem to appreciate Gobert but hate on Mitchell. Especially if the justification is loyalty.

Rudy did say over and over that he wanted to win a title with Utah, but that was during the critical period when it was paramount for him to remain with the Jazz in order to be eligible for the coveted super max contract – which he promptly demanded as soon as he was eligible for it. Everyone knew Rudy was not worth anywhere near it, but he put the Jazz in the delicate spot of either paying him what he wanted or letting a guy who has been saying for years “I want to win a ring here” walk for nothing, angering the fan base.

You want to bring the NBA’s smallest market its first ring, but you also want 30% of its cap space wrapped up in your personal salary? Unless you are LeBron or KD, that won’t work. Even if you are LeBron or KD, it probably won’t work. Rudy never backed up his “I want to win here” with any behavior that sacrificed personal satisfaction for team success.

That is to say nothing of the fact that Rudy clearly is a locker room problem. He wanted more of a role offensively but he is a complete liability on that end. I also think he had a HUGE ego problem as soon as the Utah fan base fell in love with Mitchell; I don’t think he could handle sharing what he thought was his team. As soon as Rudy leaves? Reports out that D-Lo can’t stand him. D-Lo gets traded because Gobert is untradeable. What’s next? The punch with Kyle Anderson. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if within the next year something happens between Rudy and either KAT or Ant. Especially as Ant’s extension looms.

Not saying Mitchell is blameless but during his first few years he arguably backed up the “I want to be here/win here” talk a lot more than Gobert. Attended a lot of public and private events in the community. Showed up to fans’ summer barbecues. Went to college games. Actively recruited other NBA stars to come to Utah while Mitchell was still on his rookie deal so the team could at least theoretically afford it. When did Rudy do any of this? What did Rudy do other than stick around long enough to be eligible for super max money, and then demand it, crippling the franchise? And then cry about not making the all star team?

It reminds me of Kirilenko. Standout defensive player; limited offensively. Was “loyal” and the Jazz subsequently overpaid to keep him. Contract became an albatross almost immediately and was a major reason the Jazz could never add that last missing piece to truly contend.

As for seeing both Rudy and Mitchell out of the playoffs early (again), it is unsurprising. Rudy isn’t a one man defense as has frequently been said. He is only if you play the kind of drop defense in which he excels. He can be neutralized if the other team can force Rudy into a different defensive scheme, which is exactly what happens in the playoffs when coaches have two weeks to exploit weaknesses.

As for Don, he is occasionally spectacular but far more frequently a woefully inefficient chucker on offense and refuses to play defense for long stretches. Basically, a very poor man’s Houston-version of James Harden. And even the actual Houston version of James Harden frequently flamed out in the postseason because inefficiency plus no defense doesn’t usually win playoff games.

I may eventually be proven incredibly wrong, but at least right now, it seems Utah won both those trades by a substantial margin. No regrets on my end.

voxnihili
          Ute Fan
          @voxnihili

You want to bring the NBA’s smallest market its first ring…

I’m admittedly not the most aware of the NBA but what does Memphis have to do with Rudy Gobert’s contract with the Jazz?

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

I love Gobert because he transformed himself from a scrawny peach fuzz kid to a 3 time dpoy and tremendous physical specimen and franchise cornerstone.  He wanted super max but we didn’t pay him that.  We did pay him a max and I think he was worth that.  He was the engine that made us go.

Rudy’s deal on offense was that he obviously had to play next to a great pick and roll ball handler, and when done right, it was great.  And Rudy was great.  Our league leading offenses were all predicated first on Rudy’s rim-roll in the pick and roll.  So what his impact on offense was big-time… albeit, not your traditional way of super-stars getting it done.  But he was never cut from that traditional super-star, shot creator cloth.  It’s really a remarkable story what he was able to become given his physical makeup.  

as for Donovan, he was a straight killer and great scorer.  So clutch at the end of big games even if he want always the most efficient.  But I blame and Donovan in a big way for not embracing Rudy on the court even if he never cared to in the locker room.  Donovan should’ve averaged 4 assists a game to Rudy.  And the fact that he didn’t is an indictment on Donovan.  Donovan had the ball in his hands and it was his job to make it work.  And we would’ve been soooo good.   

and I resent that he wasn’t ever going to re-sign with us.  Rudy did.  And I resent the shots he took at salt lake on his way out.  His lasting impressions of salt lake are the exhausting racism?  The last thing he leaves us with is perpetuating the stigma that we’re all a bunch of racists in Utah.  Hey I know there are some real dopes out there, but c’mon.  This city LOVED and embraced him.  

so, I love Rudy still, And don’t love Donovan.  

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

Oh and Donovan couldn’t guard.  Watching him defend Brunson a year ago was pathetic.  At least he tried hard this year.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Don and Mike were 15 of 73 from three against Brunson and Dallas last year. This year?:

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

As I see how each of their years have played out after leaving, l have come to appreciate Donovan more and Rudy less. Regardless, it was time for the jazz to go separate ways with both of them, and I wish both Donovan and Rudy well with their new teams.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports NBA Mitchell & Gobert Have a Bad Trend Going