More people tuned into WBB Final than MBB Final

Viewing 5 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

18.9M viewers peaking at 24.1M viewers…incredible! First time ever that the WBB Final drew higher ratings than the MBB Final.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Looks like it’s not just Caitlin Clark but WBB has been on an upward trend for years while MBB has been on an opposite downward trend.

Ted Lasso
          Ute Fan
          @tedlasso

Even though it’s been trending up, it really only spiked up for women when Caitlyn Clark, Paige Bueckers, and Angel Reese were Freshman. So I personally see them starting to trend downward. But I hope it continues because it’s cool to see their sport become more popular.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I guess it shows the value of “star power” in sports; the sports media built up Caitlyn Clark so much they brought viewers in to watch her play and see if she could win a championship. I guess its a good argument for NIL, by itself Iowa women’s basketball is not the draw but the personal story.

To me the biggest crime is that the NCAA men’s tournament final four games were not on CBS while the women’s final was on ABC. What is up with that?? CBS/Warner Bros trying to pimp its cable properties? That is BS. I was able to watch because I’m paying for fiber TV/internet service, but not everyone can?

1 1

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

the sports media built up Caitlyn Clark so much they brought viewers in to watch her play and see if she could win a championship.

Seems to me that being the leading scorer in college basketball – for both men and women – and being a remarkable, generational talent had just as much to do with “building her up”.

I’ve seen lots of social media types saying that Clark wasn’t really all that and was simply “overhyped” by the media, which frankly feels kinda ridiculous given what she accomplished.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Right, sorry, don’t mean to say they unnecessarily built her up, but just that her feats were widely publicized and well know even outside of typical college basketball fan circles. Anyway my point is people were watching to see her and not necessarily which TEAM would win the NCAA Women’s Basketball championship. So I’ve seen people extrapolate to say that women’s college basketball is becoming as popular as men’s. No, not by a long shot.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Probably a lot to do with what day/time the games were. if the NCAA wants eyeballs on the men’s final maybe don’t put it on a Monday night at 9:30 Eastern.

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

I believe a lot of it has to do with the stars of the women’s game are around for 3 years and the men not so much.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) More people tuned into WBB Final than MBB Final