My thoughts on the early signing period:

Viewing 2 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’m a little surprised at how it is going. I thought the players would take more control of their destiny and force their will on schools more, but it doesn’t look that way.

For example, I thought highly rated four star kid who Alabama is less committed to (ie, the Utah kid, Latu) would tell Alabama, “if you want me, I’m signing in December”.

Doesn’t look like it. Looks like the true bloods have said, “Nooe, we like you, but will continue to recruit over you, and if we can’t do better, we will let you sign in Feb.”

And the kids have just bent over and taken it.

At least for this year, it doesn’t look like this early signing period won’t change a thing.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I kind of feel like it helps the big boys more. Everyone was saying it will help the little guys hold onto players. Everything in College Football for the past thirty years has been nothing but to help the huge programs get bigger. 

Nice to have Tuttle signed soon if that didn’t happen it would be a disaster for Whitt. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I thought it would give the kids more power. That someone like Latu could go to Alabama and say, “I’m signing in December or I’m going somewhere else.”

Instead, Alabama has told him, “we want you, but we want to see if we can do better, so you will wait until Feb and if we don’t find someone better, you can sign.”

and Latu said, “OK”

zeous
          Ute Fan
          @zeous

That can be attributed to a variety of variables in the equation though, right?  It opens up a leverage point for players, if they wish to use it.  In Latu’s case, he may or may not understand that he could do what you suggest, but either way it sounds like his priority is Alabama.

That is him putting himself at risk with the negotiating power he holds, but he may well figure that if he can’t get his priority, there are still several options that are good enough as backup plans, even in February. 

The players and their families will learn how to navigate this new option after a couple of years, not to mention the recruiting coaches at the various levels of name brand schools.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Well these big schools pick and choose who they want to pay. 

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

If a kid is set on sitting on the bench in Alabama for 4-5 years, that’s on him. There’s plenty of kids out there with more hope than hard work. “If I can just get a scholarship to Alabama or Ohio St, and they’re telling me I’m only a fringe player, then I’ll just work harder.”

Playing time is infinitely more important than the name of the school IMO. That should be concern #1.
      I’d rather start at a “lesser” school than sit on the bench of a bigger school.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Cooper Bateman agrees with you.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’d tell my kid this:

If a big name school offers you, take it. They are big name for a reason and they will know better how to get you to the NFL. It is what it is. 

BUT, I’d ALSO tell my kid this: Finish your BA or BS degree in three years. That way, at the end of your RS Sophomore year, if you aren’t happy, you can transfer anywhere and play right away. 

That way, you’d have three years at a big time school, win a national title (maybe, and as much as we think Bateman should have stayed in Utah, he has a ring, and not many people can say that, and he may value that over playing BYU and CSU in the Vegas Bowl), and then still have two years to go and make your mark somewhere else. 

I’d also tell them to RS their first year. Get bigger, faster, stronger. Invest in yourself. Putting on 15 lbs and being smart and healthy as a RS freshman is more valuable than 50 snaps and some time on kickoff coverage. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree on a couple of points. If you’ve never been a D1 athlete it’s hard to understand what I’m saying.
          1. Unless you came out of high school with an insane amount of credit, you’re not going to graduate in three years (at least, not in a real major) while doing everything expected of you as an athlete.
          2. You can tell a kid to redshirt, but it’s up to the coach, not the kid. And as you said, it’s all about playing time. So if you have the chance to play as a true freshman, you’d damn well better play. Who knows if you’ll get another chance.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My thoughts on the early signing period: