My thoughts on the game

Viewing 6 reply threads
      7 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

First of all props to Tony for upgrading this site/server whatever and making it functional during games. It’s nice to have a place you can go without having to reload the page constantly to try to get in.

I wanted answers about Olaseni and the rest of the offensive line. Olaseni was absolutely atrocious in the first series, but seemed to calm down after that, but still did not play very well IMO. The offensive line did not get much push at all on obvious running plays. That needs to be fixed. Pass protection was not great as well. Failed to pick up a ton of blitzes.

Brewer is clearly at least the second best QB we’ve had in the Pac12 era, third best is probably Rising. We are in good hands there. He spread the ball around to just about every one of his possible targets. The only guy that I saw who didn’t get a target was Vele… Who is the perennial player of the year in spring, but never seems to do anything in an actual game. I was really glad to see Solo get several targets. Howard looks solid. Our TE group is really deep but they need to catch the damned football or get off the field.

The running backs: Thomas/Bernard, Curry/Pledger. Bernard is great hitting a hole, just like he was last year. Thomas is as well. I don’t see a lot of shift from either one. Did Pledger get hurt or did he just not do his job well? He wasn’t good, but that may be because he got the bulk of his carries when the offensive line was playing like ass in the first quarter. If you aren’t going to break tackles, you gotta hit the hole and get moving down field. He did not do that. Curry didn’t get many chances, I remember two. He had a really good run on one of those two chances.

On the defensive side of the ball I thought Carlton was much better than Fillinger. Tafua did a pretty good job getting pressure. We don’t have anyone that seems to be a superstar on the DL, but plenty of good players, very deep.

Linebackers are the best position group on the team.

Safeties… Davis is good, didn’t notice the other guy much, and I guess that’s a good thing.

Clark Phillips had an excellent game IMO. He could be the perfect mix of Jaylon Johnson (top notch cover corner) and Javelin Guidry (very good tackler, great at stopping the runner).

Special teams will be fine. Not sure about that punter. Seems like he’s going to hurt us at some point. Not worried about the kicker or kickoff coverage. Covey is awesome of course.

I’m really not optimistic about this offensive line. Unless things really turn around next week I think this season will be Harding’s last.

3 3

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

Wow. Delete delete delete 

Ayo, TT going to bring the pain train to your boys. Even if it’s Utah 3 BYU NIL, I predict Utah showing the world a different kind of muscle against your clown show.

1 4

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Why? Care to elaborate instead of just trolling? 

2 3

Johnny
          Ute Fan
          @johnny

Ok, I’ll predict Utah 55 Your boys in Blue 22. 

TT gonna get a hunsky and Charlie will make sure the TE Pop will pop. BYU gonna get rolled.

9 1

MacKidsAlumn
      Ute Fan
      @chris-kellerhsc-utah-edu

This analysis of of the o-line is emotional. Grading online play usually requires you stop watching the ball and focus on the line, most fans, myself included follow the ball, because you know, it is more entertaining.

I’m interested in how PFF grades out the line.  If I have time, I might watch a replay of the game and Look at the line a bit. I think for a first game it was okay.  A really promising sign was the lack of procedure penalties.

Watching the first game of the season and complaining about a line who’s offense ran a really vanilla steam but still gained 400 + yards must be miserable.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I’m not worried about how they block against byu. I’m worried about how they block against USC.I did pay attention to the OL and they missed several assignments.

3 5

Johnny
          Ute Fan
          @johnny

I thought they blocked perfectly. They built a pocket like I’ve never seen. And still, able to send people up the middle. Have you ever been on the O-line?

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

Lol… so you are that kind of drunk then (the delusional overly happy kind)?

Johnny
              Ute Fan
              @johnny

Answer my question. Have you ever played on the O-line?

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

If someone gets by that doesn’t mean the O line missed him. Sometimes there aren’t enough blockers and the QB has to account for that. If you really watched the O line, they didn’t really miss too many assignments. A few but not anywhere near what you’re alleging.

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

Perfect assessment.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Did the site actually work and not bog down? I couldn’t access anything from the game.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

It worked great for me at the game…both the site and the chat.

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Rewatching the replay (had to mostly listen to radio  today) and, at least on first series, agree with your points on O-line. Missed blitz pickups, Brewer is really good at getting ball out quickly otherwise would have been 1-2 sacks. Also not much push on first couple runs. 

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

#1 and #2 QBs get the ball out quick. The O-line was actually better than I anticipated. Wow, TT is a freak. 

However, I’m sure BYU gonna see different kind of freakiness. I predict the Utes rolling them up big 

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Also, those Utah fans below calling you a BYU fan are dumb. So far your concerns are def valid. Lol we’ll see how the rest of the game plays out.

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

O line was very bad. If weber is getting free shots on your qb and rb then theres big issues

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My thoughts on the game