My thoughts on the season

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Realistically, my expectations should have been lower because we had 8 players drafted into the NFL.  We are not Alabama or Ohio State.  We can’t lose so many players and expect to be as good.  But, I started to think with a new offensive coordinator that we may be okay.

Things that were a positive surprise:

– Cornerbacks.  I like what I saw from our young corners.

– Wide receivers.  Carrignton was the highlight.  But, I thought some of the other receivers stepped up to.

– Kicking game.  What an unexpected surprise.  Gay had a great season.

Disappointments:

– Defensive Line.  They just never got to the QB.  We didn’t get the pressure we needed.

– Safeties.  I liked our safeties when we were healthy.  But, we had way too many injuries at this position.

– Running Backs.  I like how we improved towards the end of the season.  But, we were stagnant early on.

We didn’t win any of the close conference games.  That’s unacceptable IMO.  I don’t have a problem with how we played the ranked conference teams.  We actually played quite well except possibly WSU.  But, we need to win some of those games.  However, we were pathetic against ASU and Oregon.  We didn’t play well on either side of the ball.

I liked the two point conversion call against USC and hated the timeout against UW.

I believe there is reason to be hopeful for next season.  We will be more experienced at start QB.  We should have Shyne back to help with the running game and Moss is starting to look like a beast.  We will have Covey back and he is a game changer at slot and as a return man.  We have our All American kickers back.  We will need to develop some linebackers.  That is my biggest concern.

Go Utes!!!

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hansen move to LB, assuming he comes back. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Francis Bernard was a Ute next season if he keeps his nose clean.

If both of those things happen, we will be just fine at LB. If not, we will struggle.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I don’t think LBer is the worry a lot of Utah fans think it is. Especially if Lund can play. Look st the talent we have:

Thompson, Barton, Lloyd, Lund, Tafua, Liljenquist, Nuimatalolo, and possibly Hansen. 

All we need is two, and Thompson and Barton are two. Lloyd and Lund make four. 

I think Chase stays at safety but plays everywhere. 

User Suspended
          @a2ute

Calling my shot.

4* USC LB commit Bo Calvert will flip to Utah.

You heard it here first!  

THEeyepatch
            Ute Fan
            @theeyepatch1

Pace:

Would that be a Tom Berenger in the film Major League ‘called shot’ or Babe Ruth’s ‘called shot’ in game 3 of the 1932 World Series against the Cubs? Hilarious.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

This season is definitely a good learning year for the coaches.

They need to have plenty of depth at o-line, and a consistent offensive gameplan. Changing from a run heavy to an RPO style offense with inexperienced players was brutal at times. 

Hopefully Taylor goes away from the RPO. P5 Defenses are too quick. Against UND, and SJSU it’s fine, but feed Moss the ball. They don’t have the luxury of an experienced backup QB next season. 

Maybe onlyu knows what happened, but they had a 5* long snapper committed prior to season but pulled his scholly?? and depended on inexperienced players to fill the void. Believe a few bad snaps cost them the game vs Stanford and USC, plus repeat Ray Guy award winner.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My thoughts on the season