New revitalized area in downtown SLC for hockey arena

Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 1

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Saw posts on Twitter/X suggesting that Ryan Smith’s recent Donor contribution to bring Kevin Young to TSPP was tied to influencing state politicians (majority of them being TSPP fans) to pave the way for new arena in downtown SLC (either renovated Delta Center or brand new arena). And right after the new coach was announced, this report comes out.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Can’t click on the link.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

Coaches don’t get paid NIL deal money. They are under contract with the school. No doubt Smith made a major contribution to TSPP’s athletic department to facilitate the hire it wasn’t really associated with NIL.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Yea my bad. I term all booster money in the NIL Collective bucket. But that’s not accurate, it would’ve been booster money to their coaching search fund or whatever they call it. My point was just that the money isn’t being paid by BYU, the school would never pay that much money to a coach. It’s coming from Ryan Smith booster money.

Updated my OP to remove NIL, thanks.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Good for him. Truly. I wish I had the money to do that. I also with there was a Utah booster doing that. I am envious of the situation.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Are there any Ute boosters with that kind of money? Maybe the Huntsmans? I don’t know how much any of them are worth, but Smith definitely seems to have more based on his spending habits.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

The Huntsman family fortune makes Smith look like chump change. The problem is that it’s dispersed among many individuals. As a point of inference, when Jon Huntsman Sr. died in 2018, he left over $11B to his heirs. If Huntsman Sr. was alive and well today, Utah might have had their version of Phil Knight. To be honest though, Huntsman Sr. always struck me as a guy that used his donations towards solving life’s hard problems rather than focusing on what is really entertainment.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Yeah, although John ,Sr. did donate to Ute athletics, and he seemed to be more prudent with his money. As fans, it would be nice to see Ute boosters spend like Smith, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s probably better to be more like Mr. Huntsman. I’m sure Smith has his philanthropic endeavors, too.

2 1

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Jon M Huntsman Sr has always been one of my business heros I’ve idolized in life. Although, he amassed an incredible amount of wealth in his lifetime, $11B is way overstating it. Just want to be accurate Miami, but totally appreciate your post highlighting Jon Sr, who was not only an outstanding titan of industry but an even better man in his life.

At the height of Huntsman Chemical’s valuation back in the 90s, Jon Sr’s net worth was estimated as high as $6B. But it later fell to a more accurate height estimated in 2003 at $2.5B. Before Sr passed away he had fallen off the Forbes billionaires list. And at his passing Forbes had him listed with a net worth of $1B. For comparison, Ryan Smith’s net worth is valued at around $2.2B.In fairness to Jon Sr, he gave away over $1B throughout his lifetime to philanthropic efforts, mostly to Huntsman Cancer Institute. And I’m sure if Jon Sr only cared about wealth, he would’ve died with likely a net worth that was 10 times higher in size. But luckily for humanity Jon Sr cared much more about people and doing good in the world than becoming the richest man in the cemetery.
            Forbes – Jon M Huntsman Sr

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Ahh I see the disconnect. Huntsman Chemical Corp is worth $11B, not Jon Huntsman Sr. He took his company public in 2005 which is owned by the shareholders. Jon Srs stake in the company, plus all of his other holdings had his net worth estimated at $1B upon his death.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports New revitalized area in downtown SLC for hockey arena