Next basketball Head Coach – wish list

Viewing 6 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Curious who people would like to have replace Craig Smith as the next Head Coach. As much as I’d love to see Alex Jensen take over, I don’t think he has any interest in coaching college basketball. I’m not sure if Johnnie Bryant is a possibility either.
      But for me, I’d prefer to see Harlan hire away an assistant coach from one of the best programs in the country. A guy like Kurtis Townsend, who’s been one of Bill Self’s assistants at Kansas for 19 seasons, would be ideal IMO. Townsend has been responsible for recruiting all of Kansas’ top players over his tenure and has played a major role in developing and sending that top talent to the NBA. Maybe after 19 seasons at Kansas, Townsend isn’t interested in ever leaving. But he went on record awhile back as having aspirations of one day becoming a Head Coach…so maybe he still feels that way? But a guy with that level of experience is who I’d love to see brought in as Utah’s next Head Coach.
      If it was up to you, who would you want to be Utah’s next Head Coach?

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Well, for me it would have to be a guy with a proven track record in a major program. The coach that I’ve hoped Utah would go after for more than a decade is Mark Few at Gonzaga. People might laugh when they hear this, but he actually gets paid less money than Smith does at Utah. The problem is that he’s real comfortable in Spokane and unlikely to want to leave there. Another guy that I really, really like is Dusty May down at FAU. What he’s done with that program, a program that has little to no resources and plays in a glorified highschool gym, is really remarkable.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Yea the time to try and go after Few was back when Hill was getting rid of Majerus. Tommy Lloyd stayed as long as he did under Few because he was hoping to become the next HC when Few retires. But Few isn’t ready to hang it up just yet. When he does retire it will be from Gonzaga.

I like the idea of Dusty May though. Always great to see what someone can do who’s never had many resources before but has still proven to be successful.

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

Hill went after Few. Harlan went after Few. Better programs than Utah have repeatedly gone after Few. Like Whit, he is comfortable.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Few isn’t coming to Utah. He’s a god in Spokane and he didn’t have to compete with the Head football Coach at Gonzaga. He the biggest fish in the littlest pond. He gets all the attention and all of the funding. In other words he’s very comfortable.

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Chris Holtmann – Hands down ! Get ’em now!!!!!

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Rick Majerus, pre-1999

WJUte
      Ute Fan
      @bcannon34

Porter Moser–wait–we should have hired him 3 years ago. Majerus trained.

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Samfords coach. Rising star.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Next basketball Head Coach – wish list