NIL Valuation vs Actual Earnings

Viewing 4 reply threads

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

I’ve been baffled by some of the numbers being thrown out or ‘promises’ of NIL, but what do athletes ACTUALLY make? I really don’t think Rising makes $1M. I think the valuations thrown out there are market potential, boosted by agents. But what the athlete actually receives is much less as deals are or aren’t made once they are on site. I tried to find out more info, but here’s just one source. NIL

I just started wondering when I read an article on Arch making 3x Brock Purdy. Someone asked Arch about it and he said, “check with my dad.” So they did. And Cooper said he had $100k deal and that was pretty much it. So $2M? Potential, but not real. Ewers $1M at Ohio St.? ‘Promise’, but not real.

Thoughts?

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Even saban came out and said what was being reported wasn’t factual.

Allegedly Raiola had no firm NIL offers to go to Georgia and Nebraska ponied up $500k. So when people say Isaac Wilson got offered 1.5MM to go to Georgia they are up in the night

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Until the players are made to file taxes it is all speculative.

Best I can say is I don’t know. There is a lot of money out there.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

True. And no program, no player really wants to rock the NIL boat or say anything that ‘devalues’ them. I just think these ‘offers’ are potential but rarely realized and money in the athlete’s pocket. Or affiliate deals like the trucks where there is value, but they also have to pay taxes, etc. with their own cash (unless supplemented). I also think there are some conditions associated with some, which doesn’t seem right (you have to start enough, etc. to make value for your NIL for the benefiting party). But mostly it’s just boosters passing money to the athletes above board rather than below the table as before. Where’s momma’s house or paid for car (ala Reggie Bush, SMU)?

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

The one thing that I question with all of these seemingly inflated figures is where did all of this money all of a sudden come from? Was all of this money just waiting in the wings ready to be spent once NIL came about? Are companies cutting back their normal ad spends and sponsorships they did prior to NIL? I am not seeing any of that and so I am thinking that these figures being tossed around are more hype than reality. When you look up NIL deals they always say the deal is “valued at…” which tells me it is mostly speculation and pure agent BS.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

1% percenters in all fan bases. They just move some stock and probably still take it as a write off somehow.

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

While I’m sure there is a lot of smoke surrounding some players that isn’t real, on the flip side I feel very confident a lot of players are indeed making a ton of money, and for Cam, I feel quite confident his deal is over 1 million (although I don’t know details about if there any contingencies for him to get the full amount, which there probably are).

Think about it this way – if players weren’t actually getting all that much money, why would there be such a fight to keep NIL deals secret?

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

See, I think about it opposite – they keep most of the deals secret because they aren’t really as much as they say they are (or ignore that it’s taxed, etc.) to keep driving ‘prices’ up. More of a pride thing and to keep the market inflated.

Maybe boosters are paying these as NIL for little in return. I think they were paying (maybe not this much, but maybe) before NIL (e.g. Reggie Bush, others), so nothing actually too new, just more organized. Other deals I believe more (when you see players on Dr Pepper commercials, etc. – that’s the real legit stuff IMO). A couple hundred or thousand here or there for showing up to an autograph session or podcast – makes sense. But I would think anything in the 6 figure up range would be more of an endorsement deal that would be more public. Then again, Texas A&M went to the boosters to ask about Jimbo’s $75M buyout and I think got there with like 10 people (at least, that’s the rumor).

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

I just wish I could go to ONE booster and get $7.5M for my academic research program. Sad in a way how much cash is going to athletic coaches.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc NIL Valuation vs Actual Earnings