None of us have context

Viewing 9 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Some are happy and some unhappy about the Scalley retention. I get both sides of the discussion.  I trust the findings and conclusion.  We’re talking about a long and promising career of a person who made apparently one terrible and dumb mistake.  This is costing him over half a million bucks a year now, and probably millions down the line as the liklihood of him becoming head coach is far diminished from what it was. 

1 1

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Agreed. I’m happy for him but if I’m being honest, I’m afraid of any negative impact it may have. If there is any that comes from it, I’m sure it will dissipate over time.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I’m still not sure how I feel about it either. I feel like the university has taken prudent steps, though. Pretty significant cut in pay and removing the coach in waiting title. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he bails after this year and heads to the SEC or something where he could easily get back up near that $1M mark. But that may just be my tinfoil hat.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

And that is the risk the U is taking. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I don’t think Morgan leaves unless he is asked to leave.

Other than the money he will lose in the immediate future, he hasn’t lost anything that can’t be earned back later. If he continues to field a great defense, his pay will increase. If he shows that he can successfully put this whole incident behind him, he can still be named HC at some point.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I think it is a financially excessive penalty and I would not be surprised to see him leave after this season, assuming we have one.  

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

I could only find 3 pages of the Husch Blackwell report.  I found the 2018 “joke” interesting because without telling the joke I know the joke because I was told the same joke by a Tongan friend.  I also found it interesting that the Lacy incident was not corroborated by teammates who were first hand witnesses when the actual interview process was carried out.

I think the take away from all of this is 100% vigilance is required, in particular in areas that are deceptively comfortable because even comments that an individual feels are benign and in jest can be construed differently by the hearer.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I am glad they kept him on but that is a big cost. I bet he looks elsewhere after this year. Some team will offer him full salary. I am fine with the year-to-year but they should have not cut that much of his pay and should have allowed him to earn it back the in-waiting title. 

There is really no reason for him to stay unless that is what Harlan really wants him to do without really ‘firing’ him.

And why nothing for Shah? He was the one that used the word first, even if it was in a text to Morgan.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

In perfect world you’re right. But in this world, there is no way the university could have kept him on without some sort of big consequence. 500k and the HC in waiting title are pretty big. Now people can’t say the U did nothing. I didn’t read anywhere that he couldn’t earn any of it back. Did anyone see that somewhere?

13 4

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

What do you mean we don’t have context? we have tons of context:
      * He used the word with Shah in a text.
      * Sha, who is black, use the word N***a’s in a text to Scalley
      * Scalley responded with something like, well, “I just landed that n***a.”
      * Sha didn’t take offense and wasn’t offended.
      * The text accidentally went to a recruit
      * Scalley flew out there and personally apologized and made restitution
      * The player still committed to Utah and defended him
      * Many other players defended him

Conclusions we can make is that Scalley is not a racist, he just didn’t recognize today’s sensitivity to any use of that word. and it is absolutely correct that he should not be fired for it.

There is even more context than this. So let’s stop trying to walk the line of ignorance here.

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

For those of you thinking some other school will pay Morgan Scalley big $$’s next year – you may want to watch some news. Universities are at the apex of the cancel culture.

4 1

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Not to mention Morgan doesn’t want to go anywhere, even for more pay. He’s a Utah man through and through. His dream is to be the HC of Utah. This new adjustment is only a 1 year contract. Even though they stripped the HC in Waiting from his contract (and rightfully so), he will be able to earn that back along with his lost pay after this year. And I would fully expect Morgan to do just that and bounce back even stronger from all of this.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

You are correct that his current contract only runs thru the end of Jan. 2021.  But I wouldn’t expect to see him back up to $1.1M in his next one.  Or “HC in waiting” either.  That said, we’ll likely get another 5-yrs out of Whittingham before he opts to drift into retirement, and by that time, it’s conceivable that Scalley will find his way back there (7-figure salary, HC in waiting).

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I’m not unhappy about it, but am a little surprised.

Feels kinda risky, but I trust the administration’s decision based on the data they received.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I think the penalty is a bit excessive. The pay cut part at least. Head coach is obvious. The shrewd part about it is they know Scalley can’t leave anytime soon. 

Seems like a big risk and as I said before I was 99% certain he was gone. It is objectively reasonable which impresses me and makes me appreciate the U all the more. 

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I’m happy with Scalley’s retention.  But the 52.3% paycut seemed a bit extreme to me.  I get not paying him the $1.1M salary agreed upon last December, but dropping him back to 2018?  I would think that his 2019 salary would have been more apropos.  I believe that was somewhere between $800-900K.

Oh well.  The most important thing is that he’s still with us.

GO UTES!!!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football None of us have context