Odds for Csmith to get fired

Viewing 6 reply threads

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Realistically, we could lose the next 3 games.
      If that happens, what are the chances (low, med, high) for his dismissal?

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

Low but possible. I bet he gets one more year

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

High. Rumors are swirling that the few boosters that do donate to Bball are not happy with his results this season and short of a transfer portal miracle next season doesn’t look much better. Harlan is gonna have a choice to make. Is he loyal to smith who was his guy or the few boosters that might be able to keep this floundering program afloat

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

If money was no object, then you have to can him. How can you possibly defend a coach whose team gets blown out routinely every conference away game they play? And folks, this is playing in a mediocre to bad basketball conference, a conference that, right now, only has two locks (maybe three now with Colorado) to make the tournament. What do you think next year is going to look like in the Big 12? Has anyone seen how much talent is in that conference? They’re the basketball equivalent of the SEC…seriously, if most of Utah’s current seniors say “sayonara” to the program, the Utes will be lucky to win 2-4 conference games next year.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Is there a category below “Low”? I’d say that the chances of him getting canned are non-existent. He still has three more years on his current contract and his buy-out would be over $5.5M. Now, say Utah goes full Ray Giacoletti next year in the Big 12, say 8-23 or something like that, and they’d have to pull the plug on him. otherwise every home game at the Huntsman would be “Family and Friends Night.”

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

You can’t go into the big12 with a lame duck Coach who’s only around until you can afford to fire him. Figure out a way to pay that buyout and get a fresh start in a new conference with a new coach.

Keeping him around will do more harm than good.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Oh, I agree, but Harlan strikes me as a guy that loves hitting the “Easy Button.” It’s much easier to keep Smith on and say “oh well” after the wheels come off.

Utah#1
            Ute Fan
            @utebig12nattychamps

Then he would be the one that gets replaced.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

I think chances are low he gets canned, though I do think he’s a dead man walking. The question is, is Burgess ready or do you have to go get the biggest, hottest best recruiting coach you can pay for?

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

If it would cost $5.5M to buy home out, why not take half that amd get some players with NIL. People keep saying we need the players. We need a bench. Go buy one and fix defense on the road somehow (new asst?). Give it a year and see if Smith can coach ‘better’ players and let’s see. D Smith and Keita woth Exacte and Mardsen are already a good start. Worster may return but may be done.

Utah#1
      Ute Fan
      @utebig12nattychamps

That won’t cut it in the Big 12 and definitely the B1G, if Utah gets the call. I’d say cut the loss now and hopefully find a good coach to come to Utah.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Odds for Csmith to get fired