oh goodness, poor trees …

Viewing 6 reply threads

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

6. Oh, and a note about the Utah fans. You know, and I totally didn’t expect this, and was a little surprised when it happened, but those Utah fans I thought were kind of s**tty in the end. They were loud and had a lot of synchronized cheers, which I’ve seen by many teams, and which I usually respect. But at the very end of the game, when the outcome was pretty much settled, they started taunting Stanford supporters with the synchronized jeer “We can’t hear you.” In between each line, the Utah band would play, so it seems like taunting the home team “We can’t hear you” when they win an away game is like one of their things, and that the band is a part of it (which is what makes it different. It’s one thing if the fans spontaneously did this — it’s still s**tty, but it’s just the fans. But because the band is part of the school, technically, part of the school under the control of the AD is taunting the home fans. But only, like true cowards, when they feel they are safely ahead). Then, a few minutes later, in a scene out of high school, they start with the “Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye”.

https://thecardboard.org/board/showthread.php?tid=16565

UtemanUtefan
      Ute Fan
      @utemanutefan

Is it more embarassing to be the fanbase that heckles the home crowd or the home crowd that has less fans at the game than the opposing team?

I think everybody likes Stanford on some level. They are our counterpart in the North, same style, great coach, good people. But I also hate being told we have “no shot” by their fans on message boards so there’s some poetic justice when we curbstomp them at home. 

/shrug.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

When the visiting fans take over your facility, I would say that it’s much more embarrassing to be the home side whose fans all left rather than to be offended that the visiting fans are having a fun time cheering for their team.

Wilson’s Mustache
          Ute Fan
          @sigmaute

You have to have fans that show up first before you can have fans that leave during the game…. just sayin. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

1. At first, I thought attendance was going to be pretty good because it was pretty full at kickoff, and Stanford fans can be pretty slow getting into the seats, but the kickoff attendance was about all that was coming. It was eerily empty when pulling in, but the stadium still felt close to 2/3 full, so my guess is that people arrived early. The corners and top of the top bowl were very empty, but the lower bowl felt full. Perhaps people are filling the empty seats in the lower bowl more

I know Stanford grads are supposed to be more intelligent than me. But dating back forever I can’t remember a time that the stadium was full. Most games even for HUGE ranked teams it is pretty empty in parts of the stadium.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

norm
      Ute Fan
      @norm

I actually like Stanford, but with the reputation of the Stanford band, it seems especially laughable to complain about the lack of class from another school’s band.

*edit: and if you read the rest of the post it’s even more hilarious as it segues from Utah’s classless band to, “lol, our band spelled out 69 in binary, teehee!”

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Yea that is odd and not even remotely funny. Apparently the AD has to censor them to pointed out by another poster.  What?  Do they spell out other dirty sex positions in binary?

sweetgrass
        Ute Fan
        @sweetgrass

I actually like the Stanford band. I thought it was extremely clever when they faced Kentucky in the final four their band was chanting “shallow gene pool” when UK took the court.

🙂

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Indeed the Stanford band has a long history of raccous behavior (often getting them into trouble).  

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Wow… That’s a lame takeaway. 

It was a fun game to be at but even before I got to the stadium, I was seeing a lot more ute fans than Stanford fans. I talked with a few there that were nice. they were telling me that the game was sold out but just so many people buy tickets to say they have tickets but don’t end up going during the season. Really cool stadium though.. Good place to watch a game.

3 9

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I never understand why fans of the Utes, Cougars and Jazz take so much pride in being awful. 

Be better. Don’t be proud of articles like this. Reflect and see if you are the minority that is just…awful. 

Its embarrasing. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Ok Francis thanks. 

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

As someone who was in the stadium, that guys is hilariously off base – both fan bases were really tame.

Utah fans represented well, there were A LOT of Ute fans there, felt like walking out of RES at the end.

As far as the “good bye” chant at the end being high-schoolish, it was being done by the MUSS, who, you know, are just out of HS, so….get over it Stanford.

Overall was a great experience, fans were nice and the stadium setting was good. I expect a different environment/fans in a couple weeks @ASU.

PS – the Stanford Band was really lame in person. We get it, you are all really smart and dont care much about sports.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The whole comment about how it falls on the AD because it fell in with their chant is just projection. They want other visiting team bands punished for “raucous” behavior. 

Stanford’s band was banned from travelling with the team because of disgusting behavior. Making new band members drink an alcoholic concoction that makes you vomit. Asking sexually inappropriate questions when you interview for the band(69 in binary). Also using illegally controlled substances. They suck. 

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

Utah, because our fans chanted “We can’t hear you?” That’s about as tame as any chant can get.  If that’s what makes us classless, I’ll take it.  The fact some of them noticed it shows we had good support at an away game.  He is just upset his team got embarrassed and they can’t fill half their stadium.

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

Hahaha….a lecture from a bigot about not being awful. I love it!

therealu
      Ute Fan
      @therealu

I didn’t notice the Utah fans even though my section had a fair number of them. The ones near me were classy.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football oh goodness, poor trees …