OSU and Wazzu to the Big 12

Viewing 10 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

I’m hearing a few reports that ESPN is working with the Big 12 to expand the conference again and add OSU and Wazzu. Sounds like a great deal for both those schools.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I think the conference is too unwieldy big at 18, but honestly they belong.

3 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

They belong. I definitely have conference Expansion news fatigue. We need to just protect the game.

4 5

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Sorry, but the game is already gone. What you’re watching today isn’t college football.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Kind of makes me wonder if OSU and Washington have some way of leveraging their status as the only remaining PAC members to squeeze some money from ESPN.

I’m a PAC 12 homer at heart though and I hope the beavers and cougars somehow maintain the conference and schools bounce back in a few years. I know it’s a pipe dream but at least Coach Neiuheisel (I never tried to spell his name before) mentioned it as an unlikely possibility.

lgt4141
      Ute Fan
      @lgt4141

Makes you wonder of them joining would give the Big 12 all the Pac 12 assets and future revenue. I am sure that is part of the discussion.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I kind of think that if the conference dissolves all at once in 2024, then all future distribution from the hoops tourney, etc will have to be split evenly between the 12.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

That’s absolutely true. However, I’m pretty certain that both the Beavs and the Cougs will take the security of a P4 Conference, an easy $30M+ payday, and access to the CFP over any money coming from PAC assets.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

They could break out the Pac-12 Teams as a division; then the division winners play each other for the title, at Jerry World or in Vegas.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

I hope it ends up in Vegas over Jerry world. My guess is they’ll get more fans in Vegas regardless over Dallas, even with the Texas based teams.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

Would love this! 16 to 18, at this point, who cares. I would love to keep playing those teams and really like both fanbases.

1 1

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

SouthWestUte21
      Ute Fan
      @southwestute21

It would be smart for the big 12 to add OSU and WSU

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

If for no other reason than there’s safety in numbers.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Nothing that I can find about this on the ESPN website.

Intuitively, 18 teams with a west division of Utah/BYU, Zona schools, Wazzou/OSU, Kansas schools, and Colorado and east division of the 9 others, could leave us in a stable league with much of our schedule being to closer schools.

As far as the football title game location, MWC found out LONG ago (as did many other conferences over time) that fans love to travel to Vegas.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I heard about it on Locked on BIG 12. He cited Swaim as his source. I then rolled my eyes and decided to wait and see. That’s why I didn’t post about it here. Have you heard a credible source speak about it?

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football OSU and Wazzu to the Big 12