Outcoached

Viewing 5 reply threads
      9 11

ORute
      Ute Fan
      @grute

Video is worth a look–inside the UO program. Seems very clear we were outcoached. They were one step ahead and we did nothing to throw them off. Playcalling this year has been quite pedestrian–largely relying on our strength and power to enforce our will–mixed up with a few wrinkles w Vaki, 2-QBs and that’s given us enough O to sustain wins with our dominant D. Funny, because our QB runs on 4th and short have been so predictable I yell at the TV–‘QB sneak’–apparently other teams noticed as well….

UO simply came in better prepared. Not an indictment on Whitt or the staff in general–they’ve done the best this year with the hand dealt. And yes UO is a top 5 team, yes we’ve got tons of injuries, but they were playing chess and we were playing pin the tail on the donkey.

9 2

Kellso
      Ute Fan
      @kellso

Maybe the talent on the field had a little to do with what may have looked to you like we were out coached. I disagree. There is only so much you can do to match that level of talent with 2’s and 3’s, at many skill positions.

5 1

ORute
        Ute Fan
        @grute

Whitt himself said they were outcoached–laid all the blame on the coaches. It happens. Maybe a letdown after SC, maybe not. To anyone who watched the entire video, hard to say they didn’t come in better prepared and took advantage.

Direct Whitt quotes from Mon presser
        “we’ve got to play much better–Coach much better, that where it starts, put our guys in better position to succeed — so that’s our challenge as coaches–and we will do that.”

“(what to improve) We as coaches — having better gameplan to put our guys in better position…..we as coaches have to create better schematics, better matchups”

(where to look to improve) “look at what we did as coaches, preparation and what we can do better…..we as coaches have to continually play to our strengths, put our guys in the position”

(where could have been better) “well attack , offensively gotten the ball in space better, maybe attack the ball, defensively not as stout as we normally are…they had us on our heels–that again is on us coaches to get them in a condition where they function best”

‘Looked to me’ or looked to coach Whitt as well?

stbone
          Ute Fan
          @stbone

This is not a comment on whether Utah was outcoached, but after all of the props given to Whit this past week I would make it appear as if my guys outcoached Utah if I were the OU media director, regardless whether it was true or not.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Whitt’s comments date back to Ron McBride, I believe. I have heard Ron McBride walk thru this model: When anything goes wrong, it starts first with the HC. If the HC has not discussed the specific risk and the specific solution with the assistant coaches it stops there and the HC owns the problem. If he has previously discussed it with the assistants, he then asks how the assistant coaches have trained the players. If he doesn’t think the players have been trained well enough, the assistant coach owns the problem. If the players have been trained but didn’t execute, the players were accountable. When an issue pops up, it is owned from the top until the review pushes it down. To me Whitt is telling us the coaches own the issues until the players have been trained enough and without specific details there are some things that he feels need more training.

3 2

ORute
        Ute Fan
        @grute

If the talent discrepancy on the field is the answer–then what is SC? They’ve got more 5 stars than anyone, consistently underperform, D is a mess, got beat at their place with our backups. Did we get lucky? Maybe coaching has something to do with it–especially on D

Kellso
          Ute Fan
          @kellso

You may have a point about talent with the SC team. But, the culture is soft. They don’t fair well with a fight or die culture. Utah is a fight or die team. They will be back soon.

3 1

ORute
            Ute Fan
            @grute

I agree–our culture is our strength–its been one of Whitt’s biggest achievements and overcomes a lot of discrepancies in talent. SC–always has been about flash, ego, prima donnas etc. But its on coaches and coaching to set that culture. That and their DC is clearly clueless

4 1

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Yeah, must be nice to have a billionaire subsidize your program to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Too bad they haven’t won a ‘ship. They sure as s**t won’t win one as a member of the B1G.

9 2

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

No disrespect to you ORute, but I wipe my ass with that video. It’s typical of the propaganda machine based out of Eugene. Oregon hasn’t been s**t in the past, they ain’t s**t now, and they’re never going to be s**t in the future. They beat us because we’re missing 10-12 of our BEST PLAYERS while they’re healthy across the board, end of story. If Oregon had come into Rice-Eccles with Ty Thompson as the QB, plus missing their best receiver, plus Irving banged up and hardly able to walk, against a healthy Utah team with a full complement of players, the Utes would have eaten them alive.

I’m going to tell you something about Dan Lanning that I’ve noticed from visiting blogs of other PAC teams. He’s got a special talent for making people not like him. He’s a young, c**ky sonofabitch that’s going to get smeared on a weekly basis in about a year or so. I hope beyond hope that Oregon makes it to the CFP so that Georgia or Michigan really show him and the Ducks where they’re at in the pecking order.

1 1

ORute
        Ute Fan
        @grute

Seem a tad angry. Having an age old discussion about talent v coaching–vis-a-ve gameplan for this game. Never said anything about love for UO, Nike, propaganda or that they are a better program. Lets try to separate logic from emotion and have a discussion? or not, idc

6 1

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Again, no disrespect to you. The issue is quite simple…Oregon came into Rice-Eccles with all of their star players available and healthy. That included the guy who’s made the most FBS starts at the QB position in history. The Utes could have had all of George Halas, Don Shula and Bill Bellichick roaming their sideline and they still would have lost because they brought a knife to a gunfight. No amount of coaching could have helped the Utes surmount the disparity in talent and experience, mostly due to injuries on the Utah side, that we saw last Saturday.

ORute
            Ute Fan
            @grute

That’s a very fair argument. Thanks

I think the point being lost is that these are not all absolutes–its not one or the other–we certainly are missing our top guys and yes, possibly no game plan could have overcome that–but maybe we also didn’t come in as well prepared as we could? Maybe its a combination. And we saw a somewhat inverse against SC

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

If you watch the video, it almost makes it seem as if Oregon was the plucky underdog with no chance against the mighty Utes. The reality was just the opposite. That’s what I meant by “propaganda”. Subject closed.

ORute
                Ute Fan
                @grute

Well yea, obviously a coach hyping up his team, that’s not new. You make it seem like their was a talent disparity between a HS and college team. Yes, we are down and they have talent–but then shouldn’t we have been 30 point dogs, not 7?

The Miami Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @themiamiute

Two things would keep the betting line closer than what it should have been…One, Utah was playing at home in a stadium where they’d won, up to that point, 18 straight home games. That’s enough to give the bookies some pause. Two, Utah’s brand and the respect they’ve accumulated nationally over the last decade plus or so would also act as a mitigating factor when setting up the betting line.

kmc165
      Ute Fan
      @kmc165

If it was the talent that beat us, why did we beat Florida? Don’t they have a lot of very highly rated recruits?

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

We weren’t as injured against UF AND UO is vastly superior to UF when healthy.

What’s your problem?

kmc165
          Ute Fan
          @kmc165

Iv never done a deep dive of the players on either team and their individual rankings, I just know Florida constantly has good recruiting classes and they only scored 11 points. Barton was the only guy out on defense against Oregon that played against Florida I think.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We were outcoached, out QB’d, out receivered, out running backed, out offensive lined, out defensive lined, out tight ended, out linebackered, out defensive backed, out ball boy’d… about the only thing we weren’t outed was special teams.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

You forgot fanned…we weren’t out-fanned.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.