Ute Fan
      @tednab

Summit Ute
      Ute Fan
      @summitute

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I don’t like it, but oh well.  I like the division rivalries.  It’s too late to change the 2022 schedule.  However, they need to change it going forward IMO.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I wonder if it will lead to scheduling changes. If they’re going with the two best, they don’t need divisions.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

This sucks.  I liked the divisions.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Is this effective this year?  So no more “South” division? Does this mean we would be the Pac-12 South Champions in perpetuitiy? 

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

Divisions still in place this year if I understand it right. Sounds like they will go away starting in 2023. From an article I read:

“According to the release, this change was passed with unanimous support from coaches in the Pac-12, as well as athletic directors and board of directors.

The Pac-12 says that the current 2022 schedule, with matchups based on divisions, will remain in place, but things will be re-evaluated after the season. There is a feeling that the conference could do away with divisions in the near future.”

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I do like the divisions however, the first two years the highest ranked team did not go to the CCG which seems strange. This will improve the rank of the champion particuarly when there is an upset in the CCG. As it is two teams in the same division can have very different schedules. Divisions would be awesome if everyone played everyone. This is a change but is likely for the best.

Mule
        Ute Fan
        @mule

I don’t know if it is actually for the best. If goal #1 is to get a team into the playoff, this actually makes it harder because the best team now plays the 2nd best team, increasing the likelihood of a loss for the #1 team.

What we needed to do was find an easier path to the playoff (like 8 conference games), not make it harder.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

The Pac will not get to the playoffs unless the highest ranked team wins the chanpionship with the best possible wins. That team needs to meet the best possible team in the CCG. I think the SEC can get away with a wins over 4 poor opponents, I just don’t think the Pac can. But I am also bias, I don’t like low quality opponents. I wish wins over non P5 teams had low enough value to greatly minimize these games.

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

Hopefully this leads to an 8-game conference schedule with a nice DII cupcake at the end of November just like the SEC.

Expansion becomes a little easier now because there won’t have to be division realignment. Texas Tech? Oklahoma State? TCU?

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Early prediction: Utes/ Trojans rematch in the championship game. See you in Vegas.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

You buy the first round and I’ll buy the second! 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac-12 adjusts football champ game selection process: It’s a