Pac12 failing in bowls again…

Viewing 2 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

U$C got waxed by Iowa tonight. Trojans actually looked like they were the less athletic team on the field tonight… against IOWA. Pretty unreal. They had moments where they looked like themselves, but it seems like they need to be constantly reminded that they are U$C and should win every single position battle on the field.

Wazzu defense is getting shredded by Air Force. I feel like the triple option is a great counter to the air raid. Keeps the air raid off the field and eats up so much clock. Plus it just gasses/demoralizes defenses which makes it more prolific as the game goes on.

Either way, PAC looks like hot garbage in bowl games again so far, aside from Washington beating the brakes off of the potato zoobs. Hope some other teams step up (including us). 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Does it really matter?  I don’t remember reading/hearing anyone saying. “Utah lost to Northwestern badly in the 2018 Holiday Bowl…you can’t let them in the playoff.”

If Oregon chokes away a bad second half against Auburn and goes undefeated they would have been in if they didn’t choke against Asu. No one was saying well yeah and they beat Michigan State in the Redbox bowl. What a 7-6 barn burner that was!! Amazing resume for 2019 even with a “good” loss to Auburn. 

If USC wins out in 2020 or even has one loss I think they are in or at worst as a Four seed. Losing to Iowa has zero impact for next year. 

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree. Beyond the play-off, bowl games are nothing more than fun holiday entertainment. Utah football has completely fallen off the national and Pac12 media landscape after the embarrasing loss to Oregon.

Bowl game is a fun time for the team to spend a final week together having fun with this awesome senior group that will go down as KW’s best season of his career (thank you coach Erickson) in the P12 before he retires in the next 2-3 years. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Interesting how our perspective as Ute fans has changed since being SO close to the playoff. 

User Suspended
            @a2ute

It’s also interesting to see how some Ute fans view lesser bowl games now. Just a few years ago it was all about kwitts bowl record and getting prepared for the “big bowl game”.

I still think New Years’ Day bowl games still matter – winning the Rose of Sugar bowl still matters.

Personally, I feel blah about the upcoming Alamo bowl. If the Utes lose it will have the same crash a burn feeling it had last year.  If the Utes win, I’ll have the “what if” bitterness of Utah’s inability to winning on the big stage.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

We had a lot more to prove by beating out of conference opponents, when we were in the MWC and early in the P12 building stages. Now that we have appeared in the Chip twice, came so close to the playoff, we are having a laissez-faire attitude towards this for sure. You know, I think the seniors have something to prove, and I think they’re going to play hard in the bowl.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I am just asking the opposite question. Did anyone bring up Northwestern all season?  Other than us?  I recall now some were surprised we were ranked to start the year. But hell some major national guys had us as a 3 seed!!

I view Texas a few different ways. You beat them it is well yeah they are a 7 win team and unranked. Utah should win. It won’t be Utah beat them in basically a home game. Maybe if Utah just beats them like Cal or OSU a few will take their hats off to Utah. Recruiting is basically over and it might open a few more doors for Scalley. 

Lose though?  Badly or even close? It is very negative for like a month. So I guess you are playing to not look bad. I figured beating Northwestern the seniors last year didn’t want to end on a really sour note. But they did and it didn’t matter overall this season at all. 

User Suspended
                @a2ute

It’s all about perception when it comes to the Utes. Utah had a real shot to change the hearts and minds of many with a win against Oregon. Hearts and minds remain the same – Utah is a solid, hard hitting second-tier P5 program and still very much the underdog.

You can also argue that if Utah beat Oregon but then got boat raced against LSU the preception of Utah still would not have changed  – the PAC12 sucks and Utah snuck into the CFP.  But unfortunately, that’s an argument we’ll never get to have.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

9nce Slovis went out, it was game over. Fink looked like he didnt want to be there.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

That’s because Fink had a 9:30 meeting this morning with the new coach at Fresno St.    

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac12 failing in bowls again…