Pac12 rules that teams must win at least 6 games to go bowling

Viewing 5 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I wish this was an NCAA rule. No one wants to watch a 5-7 team play in a meaningless bowl game.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I’m indifferent on this one, I see both sides. I like it because it’s not a charity game and you have to have a decent record to play in one. The other school of thought is that seniors get one last game, the team gets additional reps for practice, and while meaningless, the schools still get some money. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I would prefer no more Fcs school scheduling going forward.  

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

schools need the money from those games. Only issue is when the games are played.. SEC schedule needs to be mirrored or abolished…

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I understand I just don’t care about the reasons. I don’t want to see schools play them. Especially Utah the amount of money fans put up and are expected to support these programs should warrant a great schedule. 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

So who are you going to replace the FCS teams with?

And are you okay playing only 6 home games every year instead of the 7 & 6 we get every other year now?

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

You make FBS play FBS then scheduling gets easier. 

7/6 should work still IMO. It is silly to play sisters of the poor upstate Bama school or anyone. You gain nothing other than glorified bye week. 

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

7/6 only works if we can get someone to give us 2-for-1 or 1-and-done. With the unbalanced Pac-12 schedule, we could get 7/5 but I don’t think anyone is going to be okay with only 5 home games.

I don’t like FCS games, but unless we are willing to pony up 1.5 million or more to get a Sun Belt or MAC team to come to RES without a return game, then we are stuck with them. Or, we can limit ourselves to 6 home games every year.

utefansince79
                  Ute Fan
                  @utefansince79

Getting tired of having FCS teams on every schedule.   Who cares about beating Weber State by a large score?  Quite uninteresting.  I rarely miss home games, but gave away tickets for the opener last season (was it Southern Utah?) and given the 2018 opener is on Thursday at 6PM (which mean burning a vacation day or at least half day to make it by game time) may very well give the seats away for that game too.

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

As a supporter of Utah sports why should we care that other programs get paid money?  It makes no sense. The whole college game should be revamped and treated as a minor league feeder program to the NFL. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

No one wants to watch a 5-7 team play in a meaningless bowl game.

But everyone loves watching 6-6 teams play in meaningless bowl games.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Yeah what is the difference? I would watch a 5-7 Utah. I didn’t watch any of the other major bowls anyways. 

mokus
      Ute Fan
      @mokus

Take it to the next level. It should be a rule that you have to have won at least 75% of your games, which usually is about 9 games, to go to a bowl. Or maybe they should make it a 24 team tournament somehow incorporating bowls and dumping the rest so just about everyone in the top 25 theoretically has a chance? Who really cares about the outcome of two 7-5 teams? The college bowl system is the pinnacle of participation trophy culture.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

But it makes money for the school and city that hosts etc etc. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I can’t believe there are people on this site actually advocating for less college football. I mean, college football is 90% of what we talk about here, even during basketball season or the off-season… and now we’re saying we want less of it? SMH

1 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I agree. This is one of those ideas that sounds nice on paper and people make these grandiose stands, but in reality is just stupid.

The bowl game last year was fantastic. I would have loved a bowl game either of our 5-7 years. To argue otherwise…smh. I guess some people just love to argue.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac12 rules that teams must win at least 6 games to go bowling