QB recruiting

Viewing 11 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

In the Whittingham era, we have not signed a legitimately good HS QB other than Huntley. Cam was a lucky get as a transfer, before the portal era.

I guess today has made me give a long hard look at it. KW is a great coach, but absolute s**t when it comes to quarterback recruitment. Wtf is that all about?

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Hopefully Isaac Wilson is the exception to that.

Xanthis
      Ute Fan
      @xanthis

Overall his recruiting for any offensive position is below average. Whitt isn’t really doing the recruiting, but his offensive staff doesn’t have a good eye for talent.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Tough to recruit a top throwing qb and wr when your a run first offense.

BJA 13
      Ute Fan
      @bja13

Not just the recruiting, but 5he handling of the position and evaluation of talent. Witt just wants guys that won’t turn the ball over.

When your head coach refers to something as the “throw game’ it’s a problem. Throwing implies the fact that you don’t care where the ball ends up. You’re just throwing it.

A pass or passing game implies you have a target and are transferring the ball to a specific spot/person. IMO the terminology and philosophy is telling.

There is a difference between passing (requires 2 parties) and throwing (only requires one party)

This was on full display last night.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Our receivers looked bad last night. Dropped passes and can’t get separation. Future QBs look at the whole picture.

1 1

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Utah needs a dedicated QB Coach.

Ludwig spends 90% of his time focused on the offense as a whole during the week and then on game day he’s calling plays scheming and making adjustments.

Utah QBs get almost no dedicated coaching during the week and zero during games.

You can’t just hire another a Coach so some staff shuffling in the off season would be required.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Not so. Jordan Wynn was a very good QB. His problem was that he was too fragile. Also, Travis Wilson. With him, it wasn’t that we didn’t sign a good QB. It was that we DID sign Aaron Roderick as his position coach.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Jordan Wynn was 15 years ago and there’s an argument that Utah would have been better off if they’d honored the commitment of Keith Price instead of switching to Wynn at the last minute. Wynn isn’t really a good argument for how well the QB recruiting is on the current team.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I think Rose and Mack are QBs with a potential. I think NJ is a great athlete with a high ceiling. But it has been a few years without a high end QB. Wilson does look to be a high end QB. The top programs do bring in a high end QB almost every year and generally have more than 1 on the team. I expect the portal will be looked at to find an upper class one to pair with Wilson. I do think Utah will appeal to one knowing how much they would be valued in SLC.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

As it relates to high end QBs… as I watch LSU vs Old Miss those are two quality QBs that Utah had or should have had a good chance at.

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

True that. And how Jayden Daniels never gets seriously hurt given his frame and style of play, is a miracle!

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Travis Wilson was a solid QB recruit whose potential was cut short by constant OC turnover. He still got a lot done for us though.

UtahMan17
      Ute Fan
      @utahman17

We’re bad at it because it’s really hard. NFL teams with the smartest offensive minds in the world mess it up all the time too. The only colleges that are “good” at it are the ones who can just take 2 or 3 of the most talented HS and transfers every single year. Alabama is desperate for good QB play this year. It’s hard. And we’ve had Huntley and Cam the last 6 years (remember Cam was supposed to start in 2020 but just got hurt, Bentley was the backup), which is better than 95% of teams. We’re seriously near the mountain top of QB play over the last 6 years and some people still think we’re at the bottom of evaluators/developers. It’s ludicrous. Cam is hurt. Rose is hurt. Our other guys are young. It’s not some anomaly. KW and Lud aren’t idiots. It’s just hard and our guys are hurt.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football QB recruiting