Recruiting rankings.

Viewing 1 reply thread

MauchDawgUte
      Ute Fan
      @mauchdawgute

Looks like we are 4th currently in the Pac and 36th overall. Where do you guys think we will be when the entire class is signed?

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

It just updated to include Justin Medlock so we should finish where we’re at unless another team leapfrogs us. The rankings aren’t based off of signings but commitments since they expect all commitments to sign. If they flip at the last minute then obviously they would adjust the numbers accordingly.

But the addition of Medlock raised our avg rating/commit back up above .87 which is really good. #36 ranked class is solid for us. Winning the PAC and possibly the Rose Bowl should give us a bump up for the class of ‘23. I still think our goal should be to consistently be in the 20s trying to crack into the Top 20. Will take another couple of PAC 12 titles but I believe we can get there. Go Utes!

mesovanhorny
        Ute Fan
        @mesovanhorny

Personally, I couldn’t give a rat’s arse about recruiting rankings. 

Our coaching staff has shown that they can work miracles with the guys that they get (see: Devin Lloyd).  Those dudes know how to develop talent, not just get signatures on signing day.  I’ll take that from a coaching staff any day!

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

Same here.  I have no concerns or complaints about the guys we get.  And I couldn’t care any less about some kid who we don’t get.  Our coaches know what they’re doing and they’re getting it done.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

I agree with you guys, there’s no question our coaches know how to project and develop talent. But here’s why it matters. Moving into the PAC 12, our classes were ranked anywhere from the 40s – 60s. As great of coaches as we have, we were fighting to finish with a winning record as we made the transition to a P5 schedule. Now that we’ve been consistently bringing in higher talented recruiting classes we’ve seen a string of South Division Championships and have finally broken through to win our 1st Conference Championship.
            Seeing what Whitt and staff have been able to do with lesser talent than what 1/2 our conference has is unbelievable. Think of what our coaches could do if they started out with the talent of an Oregon or an SC? The data analysts have shown that there hasn’t been a team win the national championship in the era of star ratings services that didn’t sign a top 10 ranked class. I don’t believe that means we have to sign a top 10 ranked class to win a Natty. Because our coaches are so good at developing talent, I think if we could upgrade the talent of our roster to that next level (around a top 20 class), Utah would consistently be in the mix for the CFP. Our coaches are the great equalizer. But give them greater talent to begin with and the sky’s the limit.

For example, think about what 1 Jaylon Johnson meant to our defense in the secondary? He could lock down 1/2 the field. Now think what if we had 2 DBs on the level of JJ back there along with 2 more backing them up in the event one or both get hurt? Higher level talent and depth coupled with Utah’s already top-end coaching is what will take us to that next level milestone beyond what we’ve accomplished this year.

4 1

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

^^1000%^^

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

Not 1000%. With the transfer portal, recruiting rankings have been diminished. Period.

My point being, there are almost 4 phases to recruiting now. The early signing period rankings mean nothing. Almost all about evaluation and scouting. Especially with so many coaching changes. 

My goodness, am I so autistic that I’m the only one who sees this?

2 1

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Here’s the thing about recruiting rankings: They actually do matter. In general. Sure, there are specific instances where highly-rated recruits flop, and low-rated recruits flourish, but those tend to be the exception. We like to think this happens a lot, but it really doesn’t.

Teams that recruit best tend to perform best. If recruiting rankings didn’t matter, Nick Saban wouldn’t have to go after these 5-star kids – he could just pick random kids out of the student body and still win.

Whit & co. are clearly masters at developing talent. But that doesn’t mean the star system is crap. If he can do what he does with 3-stars, imagine what he could do with 5-stars? We should always want our recruiting to be better.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

^^1000%^^

CincyUte
            Ute Fan
            @cincyute

just curious: how many potential recruits do you follow on twitter?

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

zero. why?

CincyUte
                Ute Fan
                @cincyute

Just thought it was the sort of thing someone would do who follows recruiting.  Don’t you think?

MDUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @mdute

I’m sure there are fans that follow all of the potential recruits on Twitter. I guess I don’t take it to that level although I enjoy following recruiting. Instead I follow guys like Steve Bartle whose job it is to follow all of those kids.

CincyUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @cincyute

I see.  I just assumed it’s the obvious thing to do if you’re into tracking these kids and their decision processes. 

MDUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @mdute

It makes sense. With work, wife/kids, and other priorities, I don’t have the time to track everything to that level. My wife already nags me enough for spending too much time following everything Ute Football related.

Utesbyfive
                    Ute Fan
                    @utesbyfive

I have Utezone VIP, and that’s where I follow things. I think it’s grossly inappropriate to interact with these 17-18 year old children before they make their decision. I also don’t do Twitter. As far as the star rating system goes, it is generally correct at picking the best talent. Utah’s coaches know how to work around the edges, and find under-rated and late blooming kids. That’s their success path.

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

Wrong. Totally different landscape now, and Utah playing it right. Many coaching changes so they landed solid, committed, talented guys without selling their souls.

There are now about 4 phases to recruiting now. Rankings are being diminished by the portal. 

Total paradigm shift. No one has a clue how things will play out for another decade or so. Stuff changing big, and I love the stability of the Utah coaching staff in how they’re handling it. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Recruiting rankings.