SDSU final play

Viewing 4 reply threads
      3 2

Walkman
      Ute Fan
      @btw6btw6

I don’t know if this has been discussed but we have a deep, deep tight end room – We have two studs in Kincade and Kuithe, we have Fotheringham who has caught a lot of balls also.  

With that in mind – why in the world was a freshman put in the position to catch the game tying 2 point conversion.  O’Toole may be capable but he isn’t proven.  

It seems to make sense to have the best hands on your team in for that play.  

Just wondering if anyone else is questioning that decision ….

Still frusterated that we had 0 yards in a quarter….

4 1

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

It wasn’t his fault. The pass was under thrown he had to try and come back for it. If Rising puts it in the right place O’Toole has the defender sealed off and it’s an easy conversion

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

All game underthrown balls.  Makes you feel like the Qbs are wound too tight. 

As far as the tight ends go they have problems in blocking schemes. 

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

Pass could have been better, but still should have been caught.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I’m still not convinced there was enough to overturn it. He never lost control of the ball. Yes it touched the ground but he maintained control. What surprised me the most was how quickly they overturned the call. If it is potential last play of a game, you better make sure you take your time and are 100% sure. Look at every angle, and make sure one angle is not the basis for the decision. Not sure who was running the replay booth, but it smelled of home cooking. One angle made it totally look like a trap, but the other angle showed he had his hands controlling the ball and maintained control through the ground.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

I agree Ute98. Given that it was called a catch, I was surprised when it was overturned. It didn’t seem irrefutable. Upholding the call also doesn’t screw either team. It means another overtime. Oh well.

5 1

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

Brutal game ending call, but we didn’t lose that game on the last play, but rather by taking 55 minutes before our first offensive TD (and gifting a TD to the opponent on the near pick-six)

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I believe O’Toole is a WR, I don’t recall if he lined up as a TE. But it remains an interesting question. Most often goal line pass plays favor the taller receivers and he is 6’4″. I expect that with the time to think about the play the personnel would be right on. It could be that the best personnel group for a 2pt conversion may be different that most all other pass plays. After more than a year in the program, I expect they know if he is right for the situation. I don’t know why but I have to believe given the defenders, the play, the current condition of all options, he was on the field for a reason. But still an interesting question.

I was surprised replay found a reason to overturn the call. It is completely possible to go to the ground with control of the ball and still have the tip of the ball touch.

1 2

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Hit him in the hands should have been caught. Agreed that wasn’t the correct personnel. Game on the line, you don’t put in a freshman TE that hasn’t seen much playing time for a game tying/winning 2pt conversion.

Coaching mistake among the many for sure.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football SDSU final play