So, what do you expect to see next Thursday?

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

For me:

– Barnes will start and Johnson will see action in select situations; i.e. third and short, red zone, etc. Whitt can say things are neck and neck. But, he has made his decision and they have started game prep with Barnes behind center. There is no way that they have not made their decision.

– We will of course be a run-first team. However, I do not believe our offense can be successful without the threat of a passing game. I would not be surprised to see us pass a good amount early to open things up for the running game. Vele will be the leading receiver IMO and Yassmin could play a key role.

– I think Bernard and Jackson will see an equal amount of playing time and that our run game will go for 200+ yards.

– I believe our defense will do well. However, Florida has a couple of stud running backs. I suspect they will see some success. I think Florida’s passing game will be limited.

– I feel good about this game. Logic would suggest that I should be worried because of the injuries. However, I think we will win this game and wear the Gators down in the second half. Our depth at Dline will be a difference maker IMO.

Just my two cents and it’s probably only worth half that.

Go Utes!!!

PS to CB lurkers – If Utah loses, I will not be crying and my life destroyed. Believe it or not, there are more important things than football.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I expect ugly offense on both sides and low scoring game. Closer game than most expect. Defensive battle. Win ugly.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Similar. I actually expect 70/30 run with time of possession playing the biggest role to wear them down then pull ahead in the 4th after the altitude fatigue sets in. Whitt will want TO-free play and not take too many risks, especially with Barnes in (with NJ in about 5-8 plays doing some wildcat with an occasional RPO). Passes will be short to Yassmin or quick slants/curls with only 1-2 attempts deep (maybe on 2nd down if 1st down run gives us 6-7 yards).

We’ll see the game Ludwig calls, but betting Whitt would love nothing more than 5 7-8-min drives with 200 yards rushing and 150 yards passing (but more than half of that YAC). Thinking JQJ gets 100+, but more on big runs in the 4th and Bernard has 100+ all-purpose yards.

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

I’m excited to see the defense in action. Can we get pressure with the front 4? Are we good enough in man coverage to bring some more pressure from elsewhere if necessary? Can we bottle-up their running game, and tackle well? I am optimistic that these things will all go better this year than at the start of last season.

Cam Rising was very effective in the interior run game, and sometimes had success laterally. This year, I am guessing our other QBs will be attacking the edges a bit more (like Johnson did last year in limited action). Can guys not named Rising hit medium and deep routes enough to keep the defense honest? We’ll find out. If the OL can pass-block well, and JJ pass-protects and catches well out the backfield, we will be OK.

Bring on the Gators!

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Ludwig’s scripts typically are 70% passing plays as he tries to spread out the D and get a read on how they are going to react to different looks. It’s after those first 10-15 plays that Utah becomes run heavy.

This game should come down to whether the D is able to limit the big plays that cost them the Florida, UCLA and Penn State games and came close both times against SC. In truth, the offense played well enough to win in the swamp, even with the p**s poor red zone execution.

Utah wins the TO battle and scores in the 4th quarter to go up 23-14 and cover in a game that looks a lot closer than the score. Beckett kicks a 42 yard field goal but an extra point gets blocked.

ukiyoronin
      Ute Fan
      @ukiyoronin

I don’t know why, I just have a feeling Johnson starts. I don’t really know just my gut feeling. I think he gives their D issues with a legit run threat. Also think our D is going to show out. They’ve got something to prove from last year. Who knows though haha. Nobody had played a single snap yet. I’m just spitting in the wind here.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So, what do you expect to see next Thursday?