That's a bummer. Andy Phillips no longer with the Chicago Bears…

Viewing 3 reply threads

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

I was really hoping he’d stick. Here’s hoping he’s picked up elsewhere.

Kayden47
      Ute Fan
      @kayden47

Sadly he most likely won’t be picked up. Kickers usually last the longest in the NFL with some staying into their high 30s and low 40s. You really would have to be lucky and come out of college at the right time.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

From 45 yards and in he is bet accurate, his problem is leg strength.  He needs to be able to kick the kickoffs thru the endzone and kick up to 60 yard field goals.  His max I would guess is around 55.

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

I think you’re exactly right…to make it in the NFL you have to have to be able to bang one up to 60-65 yards.  Not that they ask for that very often but Andy was hard pressed to get 53-55.  Very accurate inside of 45 as mentioned – though I heard he missed 3 out of 4 the other day  Can’t do that and expect to make an NFL team.  Hopefully he keeps working and get another shot down the road.

Honestly if Tom Hackett didn’t have the leg strength they wanted I don’t know who does.

SkinyUte
            Ute Fan
            @skinyute

I’m guessing that Hackett’s problem was less about leg strength and more about the fact he was a rugby style kicker. Players in the NFL are too fast for that to be effective, hence why no one does it.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Silver lining is he escaped the Bears.  As long as he doesn’t end up with the Dolphins, he’s better off.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Any opportunities for him in the CFL? I know the rules are slightly different, but don’t they have kickers too? 

St George Ute
        Ute Fan
        @stgeorgeute

They do. Louie Sakoda played in the CFL for a short time until he was injured. If Andy doesn’t land anywhere soon, I hope he gets picked up either there or in the Arena league. Just somewhere he can keep kicking until he gets another shot.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Professional Sports NFL That's a bummer. Andy Phillips no longer with the Chicago Bears…