The Offense under Whit has been garbage for a decade

Viewing 11 reply threads
      2 20

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

I don’t know why we keep expecting that to change every year. 

Most games the O looks completely unprepared. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Good hell, it was the backup QB and RB in the biggest game of their lives.  What about 4 straight 40 point games and the win against OU, the blowout of CU and the amazing come from behind win against the Y.  You’re telling me this offense isn’t better?  How much better is UW’s offense.  We both scored the same amount of points.

alharmon
        @alharmon

Agreed. It WAS a disappointing night on offense, that is true, but we’ve seen more productivity from this offense than we’ve seen in a long time. We played a great defense and add on all these injuries it probably should have been expected to see a drop in offensive production. I think Troy Taylor is a good OC, definitely still has some things to learn but he’ll get there, this is only his 2nd year coaching FBS football after all!

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Really? Are we going to do this again? The offense was completely derailed by injuries and ran into an exceptionally good defense.

one fluke play away from Winning, and we get this BS from fans again? GTFO

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

You expect a freshman to do better vs one of the best secondaries in the nation?

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

No but I do expect the number two qb for a Utah team to be able to orchestrate one scoring drive in a game. If that’s to much to expect then I guess I’m a fool right?

mfaulk80
          Ute Fan
          @mfaulk80

I bet Washington expected a senior QB to orchestrate a scoring TD drive as well…but he didn’t.  This was a defensive battle between two of the best, and we couldn’t get it done. By the end, we were missing our best 3 offensive weapons.  Washington was playing at pretty much full strength. 

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Yep. This was a defensive battle for the ages. Vaunted Jake Browning & Miles Gaskin couldn’t score, but you expect our second string to score on them, when they’re just as good on D? Whatever man.

Tim Juice
              Ute Fan
              @timjuice83

I don’t give two f**ks about what Washington expected. We, once agin, failed offensively to capitalize on a dominate defense and score ONE scoring drive. Is a single drive really too much to expect in four quarters of football? If so then we can’t realistically expect this program to ever take the next step.

1 1

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

Ok bud.

Tim Juice
                  Ute Fan
                  @timjuice83

Okay you got nothing to say. You’re okay with an offense that can’t score a point on the biggest stage. Move along then. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

He did orchestrate one scoring drive, technically. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I just…naw, man. 

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Complete over reaction. Our Starting QB, Starting RB were out the whole game. Our best WR was out the 2nd half. And we were playing one of the two best defense in the Pac-12. Don’t freak out about the offense. We are never going to be an offense first team, but we saw what Utah can and should be for much of this season.

IMO, the biggest loss was Moss. It has been clear since he went down that Shyne is nowhere near Moss’s talent. Shyne is good, but he’s not Moss.

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

So we should be okay with an inept offense? Sorry but no. Mext man up, except on the offense. Ok lol next man can just shut the bed like what they’ve done the last several seasons. Get real, this team is not taking the next step if these trends continue b

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

UW had a hell of a defense, and while I agree that the play-calling could have been much better (especially in the first half), we simply needed someone to step up and make a play…and no one did. If our receivers hang on to any one of those drops, or Shyne actually picks his head up and runs through the huge f**king hole instead of running right up the back of his lineman over and over again, then that’s a completely different game.

We had our chances, and no one could make that one critical play when it needed to be made.

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

Right but they didn’t. And who’s fault is that? They weren’t prepared for this, just like they haven’t been prepared countless times in the past.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Wow. Losing brings out the stupid I’m this fam base.

Tim Juice
        Ute Fan
        @timjuice83

And the blind too I guess. Same story different day get real dick ass.

AirForceUte
          Ute Fan
          @cdoughboy2000

Wow, nice ninth grade comeback…

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Okay, douchenozzle, let’s work through this together.

When Tyler Huntley was healthy in pac-12 play the offense averaged roughly 31 points a game against one of the harder schedules in the conference. Note that I controlled for the defensive score in the stanford game when calculating this average. The last time we averaged that during conference play was never. The closest we got was 28 points per game when you control for defensive scores in 2016 with a QB that stayed healthy all year long. This is the best offense we have ever had in the pac-12 with TH at the helm. Period. When you plug in Shelley before this last game, we were dropping about that same average in conference play. With the last Shelley game we are tied with 2016 at 28 points per game.

I think it is safe to say, this is easily out best offense since, without injury, Utah was, by far, better than our best year to date on offense. GTFO.

3 2

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

I especially love the dudes who literally only show up once or twice a year to bitch about playcalling or call for Whit to be fired, then disappear into the ether.

Tim Juice
          Ute Fan
          @timjuice83

Just because I don’t post on a god damn internet fan board regularly doesn’t mean I don’t care about this team. So take your dumb ass comment and shove it up your ass. I was camping in the cold when King Louie was handing out pizzas to all of us before the BYU game that year so f**k off. Watched the Utes as long as I can remember. If internet posts are how you measure fandom then you are a sorry little bitch.

SkinyUte
            Ute Fan
            @skinyute

Thoughts and prayers

Tim Juice
          Ute Fan
          @timjuice83

Okay great, Dickey’s, but when it came time to put up or shut up what happened? Or yeah we s**t the bed. So send you stats out the window, it didn’t matter, we failed this year, and we have failed in the past.

Let me ask you this, bringer of stats? At what point do we stop passing the buck and hold this inept offense accountable for The programs shortfalls?

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Yep. This offense failed tonight. So, who you gonna fire? I bet it’s Taylor despite the fact he gave us our best offense since joining the pac-12. Or should we just magically get better players.

Your p**sing and morning dies literally no good.

Tim Juice
      Ute Fan
      @timjuice83

T&P you got nothing to say. Tell me the offense hasn’t held this team back time and time again. There was a time that you could count on the offense to orchestrate a drive in the biggest of games. Those times have last, and recent on field results have proved it.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Take a breath. Go to bed. Stop posting.

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

I love how you conveniently ignore all of the games where the offense showed up just fine in multiple “must win” conference games this year to get Utah to this point.

I would agree with you that tonight was hugely disappointing. However, to expect our 2nd stringers to somehow play lights-out against a top 10 defense in the country is just stupid. I’d say this team made significant offensive strides this year, but things didn’t break our way tonight. S**t happens.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Prior to this game, Jason Shelley had 96 snaps in his career. They contrasted that with Jake Browning’s 1500+ snaps? Shelley was an absolute man to get us to this game. I don’t in any way blame him, or even Mariner. S**t happens. ETA: NOR DO I BLAME WHITT!

There’s only so much you can do with an inexperienced frosh QB and “not Zack Moss.”

Tim Juice
            Ute Fan
            @timjuice83

Maybe I’m bling with anger. But I don’t expect them to play like all conference players. But I do expect them to do the bare minimum. Is the bare minimum zero points in what could be the biggest game this decade for the program? If so that’s a pretty low bar and we all better lower our expectations going forward. I bet Whitt would agree that the “next man duo” didn’t show up tonight.

Championship teams come to play regardless of the adversity. This program can not field one of those teams and it has show time and again.

Chidojuan
              Ute Fan
              @chidojuan

You’re argument is that the backups are not as good as the starters.  I think we can all agree on that.  We still had our best season ever in the conference.  Why does anyone need to be held accountable?  We will be even better next year with a more favorable schedule.  If we underperform then, I’ll be on board with holding people accountable.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

This thread is bad, and you should feel bad.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Chris Petersen makes a few absolutely boneheaded playcalls each game. And yet he is one of the finest coaches in all of CFB. Give TT a break, he is doing a very good job despite all the road blocks and problems encountered this year.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Blame our receivers not the QB if blame must be placed. The only thing I would say about Shelley is there were times like Browning he could have probably taken off a little earlier and ran for the 1st down. Other than that the vaunted “brilliant” Jake Browning didnt play much better than our Freshman QB.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The Offense under Whit has been garbage for a decade