Uncle Phil U

Viewing 4 reply threads

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

I get the why for the 4 teams that are going to the B10.

But the Ducks is the most annoying to me. They are not a Blue Blood program. They didn’t do much until the 2000s. Then the $100,000,000 in 2007 from Uncle Phil is what really helped them out.

Without Uncle Phil they would maybe be in the B12 or a team left behind.

3 1

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Most universities have well-heeled donors, it’s how they built up their endowments. Calling out Oregon for Phil Knight would be like calling out Utah for Huntsman/Eccles.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

In this case, it’s the total amount of cash given to the university. Knight has donated well over a billion dollars to Oregon over the last decade or so. That’s almost as much as the totality of their endowment, around $1.4B. No one and I mean no one, comes close to that figure. T. Boone Pickens is a distant second with donations totaling around $500M to OK St. No way, no how that anyone within the Utah constellation even comes close to either of those two numbers. To me, Knight is less of a donor and more of an oligarch…a guy that has so much money that he has a hand in all of the university’s major decisions. Do you think, for example, that the move to the B1G wasn’t cleared with Knight before it happened or that it would have been stopped if he was against it?

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

The Huntsman family has donated more than a billion dollars to the U, but mostly for that silly purpose of trying to cure cancer.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

That’s true, they’ve donated what, close to $3B over the last 25 years or so to the Huntsman Cancer Institute? I know that they put up the money for the basketball practice facility but, compared to other endeavors, Huntsman’s athletic contributions were modest.

//r00t4Utes
          Ute Fan
          @r00t4utes

I thought you were going to go in the direction of saying that, Nike U, going to the B1G was illustrated by Phil and his Nike money and influence made it happen.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I don’t have a problem with Oregon that it seems others do. My hate is focused on USC, UCLA, and Arizona State

3 1

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

That’s your prerogative. I have a big problem with them because they’ve been actively trying to buy a NC for over a decade, even before NIL was a thing. This season is their last best chance to do anything because they sure as shooting ain’t winning jack in the B1G.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

if i was rich enough i would be doing the exact same thing for the Utes

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

With ‘04 and ‘08, the Utes have had just as much if not more winning than the Ducks over the last 20 years.

If it wasn’t for Phil they would not be in the B10.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Uncle Phil U