Unit rankings per Pick Six

Viewing 3 reply threads

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Here are the unit ranking per Pick Six Previews. In an earlier post it was mentioned some think the secondary is a weakness. Not saying I agree or disagree with either source, just saying not everyone is evaluating the same. Here we have the secondary as the best in the PAC.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

And here are the national rankings.

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Have to say I’m a bit surprised at people ranking our defensive line so high. Maybe I’m spoiled by our teams a few years back, but it felt last year that our D line wasn’t quite as good as we’ve become used to… However, I will say we did see significant improvement throughout the year. We’ll be in great shape if we have a DE take a big jump and generate pressure on QBs (seems like everyone is expecting O’Toole to be that guy)

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

So the logic behind at least for me is OToole switched positions and was effectively learning last season. If you watch or remember he had a lot of hurries. Something that isnt really tracked but he influenced a play a lot. 
        I remember at least 5-6 times where he had an almost sack. Yeah almost sack is not a sack but it wasn’t a skill issue but a technique. I am confident that his technique will rise to his level of athletic ability. 
        Nate Orchard is a comparison I use. Orchard was always really good but it turned into something special after he got the technique and film down. 

2 1

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

Last year we started at the absolute basement and I was astonished to see how much we improved. That said I agree on the lack of pressure lately. Seems we’ve had a lot of promising players come and go without seeing a D line that really really delivered. I’m no scheme guy, I come from a different sport. But in my silly casual view I’m like where is the pressure we keep being promised? It ain’t fillinger, damn sure wasn’t Fitts that guy couldn’t get into the backfield with a bulldozer and an act of congress, Even Anae who was incredible sometimes really went silent, Dimick was the man, but then I’m thinking about players who came and went 10 years ago or more and I’m like “weren’t we better at getting pressure on the QB all those years ago? How could that be?” I think lack of pressure on the QB lost us the Ohio state game. Our whole team played their damn hearts out to make that a game and we lost out because of that IMO. I’d love to see it change.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I believe we had 8 sacks in the two games against USC and I think they allowed 14 all year long.  That being said, we certainly started slowly last season at Dline, but the improvement was excellent.  When Pepa plays – he will demand a double team which will open up some options for us.

I don’t know if we have any superstar Dlinemen.  But, we are very good and our depth is amazing.  We will wear down the Olines and IMO have a very good year with sacks.  I predict we will league in sacks.

RoboUte
            Ute Fan
            @hamplate

Hey that’s a good point tbh, “believe we had 8 sacks in the two games against USC and I think they allowed 14 all year long”, thats why that diva QB hammed up his injury. He got swallowed up and wanted an excuse. Dude told the national media he had a rupture and was playing normal like two weeks later. So transparent, so lame. I can’t take those efforts away from our D but I would also like to call out that it’s all the more indicative that pressure leads to wins. 

If we led the PAC in sacks I’d be pleased as punch.

4 1

mfaulk80
              Ute Fan
              @mfaulk80

We led the P12 in sacks last year.  We were 14th nationally.  It just didn’t come from a single guy or two like we’re used to….

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/466

2 2

RoboUte
                Ute Fan
                @hamplate

First of all good callout, but I would also point out that we did improve in a big way last year specifically, going beyond most years. I don’t know our numbers in other years but they would be interesting to look at. I also think it’s true that more than one person is contributing in contrast to many years past, so good point. However, I would also like to call out that you’re talking about sacks and we’re talking about the defensive line, which are not the same thing. Our many years of unbelievable LBs are going to bump those numbers up, even discounting our successful DB blitzing.

Case in point: ProudUte pointed out the USC games last year. We recorded four sacks in each, which is great. Do you know how many of those 8 sacks came from D linemen? One, Elliss.

You’d need to do an analysis of who recorded the sack and then drill down into each play because obviously D linemen can have hands in a sack they didn’t personally record. That said, I think the D line accounting for 1 of 8 sacks in these two games (just for example) is a great illustrator of why a sack and aD line are not the same thing. This needs to be considered before simply throwing a stat out there otherwise it’s just flat out dishonesty, intentional or not.

mfaulk80
                  Ute Fan
                  @mfaulk80

While that’s all true, you literally said “If we led the PAC in sacks I’d be pleased as punch.”

That’s the specific comment that caught my eye, and that’s why I commented.  I didn’t bring up sacks.  I was just directly referencing your comment.

RoboUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @hamplate

I would be pleased as punch if we led the PAC 12 in sacks. though I guess it wasn’t clear that proudute and I were talking about the upcoming season from that sentence alone. You kind of have to read the preceeding comment for that to be clear I guess, he stated “I predict we will league in sacks”. I think he just forgot “lead the”. In fact the first time I read it I didn’t realize that he didn’t put that.

mfaulk80
                    Ute Fan
                    @mfaulk80

For the record, we were also 1st in the P12 in sacks/game in 2021 (18th nationally). 

I think a lot of people consider our 2019 defense to be one of Utah’s best defenses, and yet we were 45 nationally and 4th in the P12 that year.

You make some good points. I’m just providing accurate context. 

RoboUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @hamplate

It’s weird when the eye test doesn’t agree with the raw stats. I don’t know enough about Xs and Os to say why.

My gut tells me that sometimes outlier games lead to big number changes in numbers like sack totals which aren’t very large. If you have one or two huge games you can just way up in rankings and simply be middling the rest of the time. Also are we ajusting for having an extra game all these years? we’ve perennially been in the championship.

Rick
                Ute Fan
                @rickyrules

But it mainly came from two games with USC, didn’t it?

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

Utah sacks have not been coming from front 4 rush, they have come from blitz packages. Reality remains, the front 4 doesn’t get sacks on their own. Id like to see Fano and Kennedy, experienced and talented edge rushers, play this year. I’m not sold on the guys we’ve converted and I’m tired of having to generate pressure with the blitz alone.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I agree, the last few years the DL has seemed to take a step back from the Lotulelei and Mokofisi days. After that we had Fotu and Penisini. We have been spoiled. I think Devin Lloyd covered up for a lot of it 2-3 years ago and last year, the Utes just didn’t have anyone to take over.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Two things:

First – I have been saying for the last five months that I believe we will be better at defensive back than we were last year.  Yes, we lost Phillips.  However, we gained Battle and two of our top recruits are CBs.  I think we will be better at safety.  Herbert was average at best IMO.  Vaki really came on last season.  Ritchie is back and Bishop has another year under his belt.  And, we have all heard the positive talk about the incoming freshman. (I admit that I am no expert at this and I certainly do not analyze game films to know what all the players’ strengths and weaknesses are.  I just see the potential for a very good defensive backfield.)

Second – How did we rank at wide receiver in the PAC12 and nationally?  I suspect we are about 7th or 8th in the PAC12 and around 40-45th nationally.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If Utah could finish 1-3 in the WR statistical rankings of the conference they win the conference easily and go to the playoffs. 
        Big IF because the improvement necessary would be amazing to witness. 

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

Agreed lol.. That’s a dream to have your biggest glaring weakness become a huge strength. Also, dreams aren’t real. I’ll settle for top five. We’d have a killer season at five. Probably win the conference handily at five.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

1-3 in the conference means you probably have a Heisman run at the QB spot as well. That is literally the p12 conference 1-3. I agree 5 is drastic improvement. One can hope the WR could get open against some of these defenses. It is a philosophy thing to.  Whitt/Ludwig won’t be airing it out unless analytics forces his hand. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Unit rankings per Pick Six