USC & Cal could play in SLC this fall

Viewing 5 reply threads

Basketball Junkie
      Ute Fan
      @basketballjunkie

If the PAC 12 is allowed to play football this fall, the California teams may have to play  all of their games on the road.

Gov Newsom: “CA would not feel comfortable reopening stadiums until we ‘have the appropriate community surveillance and testing’ to identify who’s infected and ‘that’s not something I anticipate happening in the next few months.”

If that happens, it is possible that we have 8 home games this season should we play all 12 games.  It would also affect the NFL’s season as well.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Great for us, if it were to happen that way, but I don’t think it will. 

If they can’t play at home, I have a feeling Sam Boyd and Allegiant stadiums might suddenly be hosting some double and triple headers as a home away from home for the California teams.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Great. Another reason to jack up season ticket prices even more.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Because it’s a national decision, I don’t see the football season happening this year. Sadly this s**t will all ramp up again in fall since C19 is already here. This being an election year does not help. I hope I am completely wrong and it’s all over in a month. 

2 1

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I think the NFL and the networks are going to force this issue.   There is WAY too much money at stake.   Once the initial wave is over the fear/paranioa factor is going to wane.   They will come up with a technology solution like scanning temperatures and requiring masks.  Cards may be issued to those who test positive to antibodies — they can skip some of the lines.  Prepare for long lines more and more like going through TSA.

BulgieUte
        Ute Fan
        @bulgieute

What’s the point of screening for symptoms to protect fans inside the stadium if you’re getting infected waiting in line to be screened?

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Well if you have a fever and know you’ll be screened you won’t bother to go.   Also 6 foot social spacing. 

Same with confiscating liquids by the TSA.   If the TSA thinks your liquids are dangerous why do they take them and throw them all into the same trash can that everyone is walking past?

noneyadb
            Ute Fan
            @noneyadb

What about the asymptomatic people that are contagious with no symptoms? 6′ social distancing would only permit a 1/5 of the seats be sold. Lines for bathrooms and concessions would wrap around the stadiums. If social distancing is still required there will be no mass gatherings.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

I don’t see college sports being played this fall. I don’t see how if it’s too risky to have fans in stadiums together that it’s okay for teams to travel.

1 1

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Because it’s much easier to repeatedly verify that athletes don’t have COVID (and therefore, won’t infect each other) than it is to repeatedly verify that tens of thousands of fans don’t have COVID. Chartered flights and hotel rooms make it easier to keep teams safe. So games could be played safely, but not in front of fans.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

There’s a lot of infrastructure though too.  Trainers, coaches, staff, media bla bla bla. Could be tough. 

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

Sporting events just don’t work without fans in the seats.  Australia tried it with their ‘football’ matches when their season started in March, lasted one week.  Italy tried some soccer matches in empty stadiums and didn’t work either.

Utahute72
              Ute Fan
              @utahute72

I’m more optimistic than most. As fast as the vaccine and prophylaxis train is moving we should have a handle on this to some extent by this fall. Add to that the new study that the CDC is launching to characterize the extent of disease and it gives me hope for the future.

1 1

GameForAnyFuss
                Ute Fan
                @gameforanyfuss

Sports on TV will work if they have to. I’m pretty certain it’s going to be sports on TV or no sports at all.

The vaccine won’t be available until next spring and every drug studied so far has inconclusive results and serious potential side effects.
                – A side effect of hydroxychloroquine is atrial fibrillation (no thanks – I’ll take my chances with COVID). Plus results have been inconclusive.
                – The interim data analysis from the first Remdesivir clinical trial was not great. It certainly needs more study around how early in the illness it needs to be administered. That will take more time.

My point isn’t to be a downer. It’s just to point out that, by fall, the best weapon we’ll have against this virus is still going to be social distancing and good hygiene….two things that crowded stadiums don’t have going for them.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football USC & Cal could play in SLC this fall