Utah down to #22 in CFP

Viewing 3 reply threads

HPrete22
      Ute Fan
      @hprete22

and Arizonas at #17. Seems crazy how different the AP and CFP are. So what will we be ranked after we beat Arizona? 😉

HPrete22
      Ute Fan
      @hprete22

Also, Georgia goes to 1, tOSU down to 2, and the rest of the top 6 stay the same. Pac 12 has a real shot at the playoffs if Oregon State doesn’t crush its hopes.

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

You mean the B1G has a real shot at 2 teams (either Michigan or tOSU and Washington or Oregon).

fosternano
          Ute Fan
          @fosternano

I’m of the opinion that Michigan has to win out to make it to the top 4. They lose 1 game and they are ranked 5-10 with how soft their schedule is this year.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

The CFP won’t invest in building the brand of a dying conference. I don’t think the fare well story moves the needle to overcome that. There’s also a legal issue still to be sorted out regarding which schools would get the money from an appearance. Right now, pending appeal, the Beavs and Wazzu would split it. If Bama beats Georgia, Bama is in (and maybe still Georgia). One loss Michigan gets in if the loss is without Harbaugh on the sideline. FSU walks in. Too easy for the committee to justify a one loss from any other conference over UW or OU. Don’t forget how poor the ratings have been when UW and OU were in it thier last go around vs any SEC or BIG team. Call it a conspiracy theory if you want but it’s all about the money and the sponsors will have who they want in there if at all justifiable.

5 3

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Beating Arizona won’t move Utah up much. Utah’s ceiling is right around #15 this year and will need to win out, including the bowl game, to get there. Right now Utah is 0-3 against ranked teams and can’t win their conference, but could be the NY6 auto-bid from the PAC were both Washington and Oregon to make the playoff. So the committee has to keep them ranked.

Arizona still has a mathematical chance of making the CCG so that is why they are slightly higher. And they are 1-2 against ranked teams.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

my conspiracy theory is that they are trying to deflate the pac SOS. Their nightmare scenario is an undefeated Washington losing a close game to Oregon in the P12 CCG. This would give Oregon and Washington both legit claims to get into the playoffs but the playoffs will only take Oregon at that point

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I don’t think so. I think they have been perfectly clear about all this. The winner of the Ohio State/Michigan game gets in, and the winner of the Oregon/Washington game gets in, assuming all four teams win out.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

Who has been clear about that? Certainly not the committee.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

I agree with your theory but not the reasoning. It’s very easy to justify any other one loss team against a one loss pac12 champ, especially if the SOS is similar. Right now thier trying to find a way to justify a one loss over undefeated UW.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah down to #22 in CFP