Utah keys to a win??

Viewing 7 reply threads
      4 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Tyler Huntley starting…..

But seriously what can the Utes do to win this game. I will be honest and admit I haven’t watched ASU all season. I know they sell out for blitzing a lot. Not sure if the ole Read option is effective for this one.  Williams busted off a few huge runs last season  Moss I don’t think has that breakaway speed but I think getting him going is what Utah does best offensively.  With Carringtons injury I don’t know how Utah can utilize him. 

Defensively I honestly again know nothing about ASU offensively. 

So enlighten me Utefans. 

Tyler Huntley is my key to winning any of the games the rest of the season. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Attack the blitz. Slants, screens, delayed handoffs, counters and traps. ASU will back off of it if we punish them, and I don’t think their secondary can run with our receivers. Washington didn’t game plan enough for them. Their successful plays were exactly those I mentioned, with emphasis on the screens. Defensively I think we’re set. Scalley will not let them get away with poor tackling again this year. Last year’s game wouldn’t have been competitive at all if we had tackled better. I’m confident in Taylor’s ability to create an offensive game plan that will punish the blitz. If Williams can duplicate the effort from last week, we’ll be just fine.

1 3

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Williams duplicating the same effort as last week is what I am worried about. 

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Also, the key to Williams success is getting the ball OUT of his hands as fast as possible.

2 4

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Williams stands in his own way from that happening. 

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

Agreed, but hopefully Taylor can coach to that. Even if he struggles, I feel like it is a winnable game, hence my comment regarding his effort. If he sticks to 50% completion and limits the turnovers, Moss and the defense can at least to do the rest and win it. If he has a great performance, it will be a long night for them.

2 2

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I am not happy with 50% he needs to do better. He is a senior and has shown no improvement. 

quagmire
            Ute Fan
            @quagmire

Williams has had Taylors full attention for three games and a bye week now and still hasnt shown any improvement.  Some things just arent coachable.

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

Given our recent pass protection, he doesn’t exactly have many options.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

It has been good enough. He hitches his throws and telegraphs his decisions. 

Anonymous
            Ute Fan
            @anonymous

Ok…by now, we all know your disdain for TW2 — and, most of us agree with you regarding his challenges. That said, our lines still have issues, starters or not. Not saying they won’t improve.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Rush blocking has improved and I think Pass protection has been good enough. You are crazy to put all of it on the line is what I am saying. Improvement has obviously been measured and executed. 

It is like you expect the Oline to block 5-6 seconds perfectly. Sometimes it has been done unless Williams moves into the defender. 

Anonymous
                Ute Fan
                @anonymous

Of course I’m not putting it all on the line. It’s not a binary scenario. Obviously, the combination of a suspect o-line with pass-protection issues and a skittish QB is not a good one.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Yeah I think I read into your statement a little too much. 

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Ummmm …. ASU does not blitz anymore. Graham is no longer calling the defense. ASU blitzed Worshington approximately 20% of the time.

It’s been this way all year.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Consider my comments moot then.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think the Utes can win this one the old fashioned way, power run game. We’ve got a bruiser that can eat chunks of yards with Zack. There’s the classic slasher with DHC. I don’t know if he has breakaway speed though. The wild card is Troy. That would open up play action. As long as the offense doesn’t telegraph the the plays I think they should be able to dominate. ASU D isn’t very good. Just run the plays out of disguised formations. Oh, screw Graham.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

ASU has backed off the blitzing since everyone has figured that out.

I still can’t tell if they actually play good defense, or if Worshington was just THAT bad this past weekend.

Either way, we can win with Williams as I think this game hinges more on running the ball well. We need to have long, back-breaking drives because ASU lacks depth at defense. I think the game is close until the 4th quarter and then Utah runs away with it if we can do that.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Washington hasn’t won in Tempe for awhile I think ASU has taken the last 8 at home against them. 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

We did it last year.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Great analysis up above by everyone, but maybe we’re overthinking it a bit. Like almost every football game between two opponents who don’t have a great talent disparity, it will most likely come down to turnovers.

Turnover margin, and perhaps red zone efficiency, are pretty much the keys to a Utah win every week regardless of opponent.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

There is a huge talent discrepancy. ASU has 25 four star players on their roster, we have 7. ASU is shoulder to shoulder with Oregon, Stanford and Worshington for talent. All of those teams are between 25 and 28 blue chips.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

15 sacks!!!!!

No as I’ve said before we’ll need four TOs and two non-offensive TDs. Scoop and score, pick six, PR for a TD, KR for a TD — Pick two of the previous options and we’re good.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

15!! Yeahhhh boiiiiii

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah keys to a win??