Utah Schedule After Week 4

Viewing 1 reply thread

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

If the Utes pull out a win this Saturday, they will have two top-25 wins after week 4. We’d be hard pressed to find another school ranked ahead of the Utes with a significantly better resume at that point. Here’s to hoping for a big win this Saturday.

1 12

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Florida wasn’t ranked when they came to Salt Lake. UCLA won’t be ranked if they lose this week. It can be a confusing argument unless you define between ranked at any point during the season, ranked when the game happened or currently ranked.

WSU with a win would have beaten two teams that were ranked at the time they played them. Colorado with a win would have beaten two ranked teams at the time they played them and both on the road.

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

I’d guess almost any football fan realizes (especially based on the media conversation this week after Florida beat Tennessee) that it counts as a ranked win. Also, I don’t know that UCLA would drop out of the rankings after losing to the 11th ranked team.
        It isn’t about ranked when you beat them, it’s about staying or being ranked after in my opinion.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

So Duke loses their ranked win over Clemson, WSU loses their ranked win over Wisconsin and Colorado loses their ranked win over TCU?

They can’t keep 8 Pac teams ranked indefinitely and there are 3 ranked matchups this week. Someone’s got to drop out and WSU, UCLA and Colorado are the lowest. Oregon and Utah are high enough that they should be able to absorb one loss and stay in. Unless they get beaten by 30+, Colorado probably stays so that the SC game the following week is another ranked matchup. Oregon State has been ranked all year and should stay while WSU has a “ranked at the time” win. That leaves UCLA who played an underwhelming non-con.

Florida getting ranked after beating Tennessee was an overreaction in my mind but I don’t have a vote.

6 1

Italy88
            Ute Fan
            @itacoatiara22

I don’t know who you’re arguing with, but I’m getting a kick out of it! I never said the PAC would have 8 teams ranked forever.
            Tell me more about the 2008 National Champ. You don’t really believe it was Utah, right? That would be pretty illogical.

2 1

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

You talk just like a zoob.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

UCLA could lose in triple-OT to the #11 team in the country, and still drop out of the polls. They’re at #22. There’s no margin for error for the Bruins. Just look who’s behind them…

#23 Tenn (2-1; only loss is to #25 Fla)
          #24 Iowa (3-0)
          #25 Fla (2-1; beat #23 Tenn)

And there are currently 10 other undefeated P5 teams below UCLA in the polls, just waiting to take their place. If UCLA loses this weekend, they’re out of the Top-25.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Ranked at the end of the season makes more sense than ranked at the beginning.

Let’s say Utah (hypothetically) beat the #1 ranked team in the country in their first game of the season. Then, that #1 ranked team didn’t win a single game the rest of the season.

Would you still tout that as a win over the #1 ranked team?

Preseason and early season rankings are a beauty contest; not based on actual performance.

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

Yep. Like Pitt/TSPP back in the day

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Super easy to figure out. Current reality in rankings always beats out past opinions with less information. Previous rankings are for those grasping for straws. That’s why the final rankings trump anything from earlier in the season. I also think wins over quality teams is more meaningful than simple wins. Undefeated reasoning is for SEC teams with 1/3 wins against mid majors or for mid majors themselves making the point they jumped out of the mid majors. I have always struggled with an undefeated team that has not played a quality team jumping another team that just lost to a very high quality team.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah Schedule After Week 4