Utah vs Baylor

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

After yesterday’s results, the ESPN matchup predictor has us at a 73.2 % chance of winning. Obviously, Baylor’s defense (especially pass D) did not play well yesterday. Their offense generated over 400 yards passing, but much of that was late in the game when TSU was playing prevent. I expect Baylor’s coaches to correct some problems and we see a better version of Baylor next Saturday. What does this all mean to the Utes?

1. I think we need to pass more, especially the 10-15-yard passes. This will help open up the run game and Baylor has some problems in Pass D. I think Baylor will likely do what Florida did and stack the box.

2. If our front seven performs as well as they did against Florida, we should stop the run. They will be forced to pass. Our corners will be key in this game IMO.

3. I hope to get some players back for this game, but I don’t think that we should risk playing Rising or Kuithe. (I am not sure they can play in any event.) I hope Reid, Tafuna, Pepa, and O’Toole can play. In the extreme heat, we will likely need to rotate players more than usual.

Go Utes!!!

1 7

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

1 – We are better, but we have a huge problem at QB.
      2 – Johnson can move the offense with his legs, but not his arm.
      3 – Barnes can’t really move the offense.

This means that our point total has huge limitations. Baylor did an ok job stopping the run.

I think this game will be a lot lower scoring than we think. I think Utah tries to do the exact same thing we did vs Florida.

Try to get to 20 points as fast as possible then stop playing and run the clock out. I’m not sure Baylor can get 20 points on us.

If we had Rising, or a QB who could throw the ball, we’d win 40+ to teens. But because we don’t have a QB who can throw, we will be a lot closer.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

Hopefully we get Pepa and Tafuna back, because Baylor would be completely screwed if we did. Hell, we might not even need them, but they would certainly help. Baylor will also probably be without their starting QB, as it looks like Shapen got hurt.

As for Johnson and Barnes, the coaching staff needs to let these players play loose and free. Johnson looks like he’s scared to make a mistake because Whitt would yell at him for it. If he can’t make mistakes by throwing it downfield, guess what? You can’t make plays down the field, and the defense won’t respect the pass. Not to mention that Baylor’s secondary looked to be the weakest part of their defense. I’d rather Johnson get intercepted making a 40 yard pass, than going 3 and out and being forced to punt.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I am with you on Barnes and Johnson. We need these guys to play loose. Both have enough talent to get it done IMO.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah vs Baylor