Utah vs. Oregon: My Top Fears

Viewing 7 reply threads
      7 2

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

I am pumped to be in the stands for a huge showdown this Saturday! I absolutely believe that if our Utes play their game they can come out with a W. With that said, here are my top fears going into Saturday:

1. The rumors about OL injuries will prove not only true but devastating. The line will regress to early season form and the Oregon DL, led by Kayvon Thibodeaux, will take up residence in the Utah backfield.

2. Shades of 2019, Oregon will refuse to respect the Utah WRs and will crowd the box and stifle the Utah rushing attack, daring Cam to beat them with his arm. Covey and the TEs will be unable to carry the load and the Utes offense will collapse.

3. Special teams’ blunders will lead to short fields and free points for Oregon. The inability to trust the punt unit will force Whitt into trying the odds a few too many times with going for it on 4<sup>th</sup> down.

4. The moment will prove too big for a youthful defense. Oregon will generate points at will by running on a porous DL and exposing the DBs on the back end for an encore of the Oregon State game.

5. The Utah defense will again fall to its Achilles heel: a rushing QB. An otherwise effective defensive effort will be wasted as Anthony Brown calls his own number and tucks the ball for big gains and timely conversions.

EDIT: It seems my tone is misinterpreted. I think and predict that we will win. This is just a fun post to “get the jitters out”. Basically, it is just a mental exercise to see what I would focus on if I were the coaches for either team.

UteBrook
      Ute Fan
      @utebrook

So you are feeling pretty positive about the game?

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

I actually am very positive about our chances! I am just one of those that like to voice my concerns because then you can overcome them. In 2019 I thought there was no way Oregon would beat us, and they did. This time my approach is different. I have my fears, but I love and believe in this team! My “fears” are just what I hope the coaches have pinpointed and are addressing for this game. I think if those 5 points are addressed and we don’t have awful turnover luck we win this one going away!

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

UteDuke, I think you might want to sit this one out. I’m happy to go in your place…just let me know how to get your ticket. 

4 1

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

So now let me challenge you to instead of writing EVERTHING that could go wrong, to make a list of everything that could go RIGHT.

I just don’t understand focusing on the negative of what could go wrong. Could all those things happen, sure! Could a ton of good things happen too though, sure! 

Utah has looked great in some recent games, and no so great in others, which could 100% be said about Oregon. Switch jerseys and just look at the team stats, these teams are pretty much equals in every way. 

Be nervous if you want to, Utah has no reason to hide in this game. They are built to win this game, AND the one in 2 weeks. Period.

UteDuke
        Ute Fan
        @uteduke

Great suggestion. I just might do that! That list would be much longer and a lot of fun to compile. I threw my fears out there because I think if the coaches and players address each in practice this week we will roll! Oregon has looked very vulnerable this season, similar to Oklahoma.

richute
      Ute Fan
      @richute

I get what you’re saying but it’s also fun to just watch the game and hope the Utes win and not constantly worry about what could go wrong.

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

Totally think this is a reasonable list of fears. And let’s face it, after the scare last week and how we’ve fared in big games in the past, I won’t fault someone for being worried.

At the end of the day, I am excited to have a prime time nationally televised game in Rice-Eccles and am grateful for the opportunity. This game could go any number of ways, so let’s do our part as the fans and help our boys out!

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I don’t think that Oregon will stack the box.  They have a stud at D-end and another at LB.  They are a top rushing defense in the conference, but a below average at passing defense.  They cannot afford to stack the box IMO.  That being said – I believe they know they need to stop our running game which has been so successful the last 6 weeks. 

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Edit: removing the duplicate post

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Here’s what I love about this matchup with Oregon.

1) IMO, the pressure is squarely on Oregon. If we lose, our goals are still in tact…just need to beat Colorado and we’re playing for a Conference Championship and Rose Bowl. If Oregon loses, they’re out of the CFP. So I think our guys have nothing to lose in this one and can come out swinging all game long.

2) Love that it’s at RES where we’ve won like 19 of the last 20. I don’t think our crowd will be as much of a negative factor against Oregon (since they’ve gone into the Horseshoe this year and come away with a W) as it will be a big positive for our young guys who get so much juice from the crowd being behind them. 

3) Great exposure for the program. Primetime national TV slot pitting the 2 best teams in the conference. It’s a huge accomplishment by Whitt, staff, and team to have our program at the top of the PAC for the past 4 years. And clearly, it’s Utah & Oregon as the 2 best teams in the PAC 12 right now. This game as well as a potential rematch in the CCG also end up providing a nice lead-in to next season when our young team is only going to have more hype, higher expectations, and a higher ceiling. 

It’s a great day to be a Ute! No matter what happens on Saturday, there’s LOTS of teams and fan bases that would kill to be in our position with these types of opportunities to play for…Love it! Go Utes!!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

With all the worries Oregon presents, there have been several other teams in the league, not better than us, take Oregon to a close game in the 4th Qtr. We also need to make it a game in the 4th and let Oregon worry equally about what Utah can do to them.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah vs. Oregon: My Top Fears